Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
44,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure this subject has been beat to death, however does anyone have any luck with this? My biggest question is do you guys think it will will help with SEO from google. Will it help move me up on google after I am no longer using it. I was thinking it must, because what would be more legitimate to googles algorithmic then someone who has paid for ads?

·
GC/carpenter
44,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thesidingpro said:
It's not going to help with SEO as the links aren't followed. It will however have a positive effect by dominating page 1 results if you have a top 5 rank and top 3 ad rank.
Even after I cancel the pay per click? In other words does google give it better rankings simply because it is considered "more legitimate" simply because I was paying for ads?

·
GC/carpenter
44,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess what I'm asking, after I cancel per click will I automatically become more relevant because I paid for advertisement? And will it move me up on the search page?

·
GC/carpenter
44,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks that was the language I was looking for. I appreciate the info.

·
GC/carpenter
44,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tech Dawg said:
kinda like on of those dancer bars, eh...They just want your money and don't care about you:censored::blink:
I was hoping it would give me better "organic" ranking. Have you ever used the PPC?

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I use it and recommend it.. You will get clicks and phone calls from PPC. When people want to buy, they will search and they will click on the ads. They won't necessarily bother to look at the organic results, except for review results.

Your landing page needs to be relevant. If your ad is about a sale, the click needs to take them to a page about the sale. If your ad is about decks, the click needs to take them to the deck page, not the g.c. page.

I recommend the phone call extensions - people with mobile devices make the call.

·
GC/carpenter
44,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CarpenterSFO said:
I use it and recommend it.. You will get clicks and phone calls from PPC. When people want to buy, they will search and they will click on the ads. They won't necessarily bother to look at the organic results, except for review results. Your landing page needs to be relevant. If your ad is about a sale, the click needs to take them to a page about the sale. If your ad is about decks, the click needs to take them to the deck page, not the g.c. page. I recommend the phone call extensions - people with mobile devices make the call.
Thanks for that info Bob, I get most of my work through composite deck vendor sites. I'm trying to utilize my website to survive on its own. In other words I would like to not have to rely on the vendors as much. I do get calls from organic web searches however I would like to up the percentage of that a little more.

I'm in the process of SEO and getting new content written, so possibly a pay per click campaign will complete the experiment. :thumbsup:

·
Sophisticated Siding Guy.
528 Posts
I have had luck with PPC as well. I get my money's worth out of it for sure. Sometimes It goes weeks without providing any leads and i think about doing away with it but sure enough a large job will come by because of it and it paid for itself again.

I currently have my campaign off but I'll turn it back on next week. Not much shopping going on around the holidays and we are booked out 3 months right now.

·
GC/carpenter
44,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thesidingpro said:
I have had luck with PPC as well. I get my money's worth out of it for sure. Sometimes It goes weeks without providing any leads and i think about doing away with it but sure enough a large job will come by because of it and it paid for itself again. I currently have my campaign off but I'll turn it back on next week. Not much shopping going on around the holidays and we are booked out 3 months right now.
I've had a couple weeks off which is very unusual for me, so much I don't know what to do. All I can say is nobody really wants me in their backyard while their celebrating Christmas, and I don't blame them. However I have stuff coming up just nothing at the present. I actually have 27 condos on my plate, but that's not until February. Financially I'm doing great, but this is just weird for me to have a hole in my schedule. I think it's a great way to learn how to handle it. The last time I ever did marketing was about 7 or 8 years ago, and things have changed considerably. So I'm game for trying out the modern technics to market my business, so next time I don't get caught with my pants down. Complacency can be the enemy here. Actually it's my wife, she's not used to me being home during here Christmas break and I'm driving her nuts. :laughing:

·
Sophisticated Siding Guy.
528 Posts
I completely understand. I stay busy 90% of the time as well from previous networking etc. I could stay busy 200% of the time if it was just me a couple guys but I've grown a bit and it takes a little more to feed the animal so I'm constantly trying to push marketing.

It's always good to take this time of year to look back and improve systems etc. The problem is no one can relax when there's no work. It's a double edge sword.

·
GC/carpenter
44,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
CarpenterSFO said:
Sometimes a man can't sit down for lunch in the kitchen he built without someone asking "Don't you have somewhere you're supposed to be?"
Exactly

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I've run Adwords campaigns for myself and others since it's inception but nothing especially high $$$. It's not a good way to spend your money if you're just dipping your toe in the water. A good campaign takes a bit of time to optimize for conversions and low cost-per-click. That time is essentially clicks that cost you money. Those clicks are traffic though so it's not all wasted.

I use PPC for keyword research when looking for terms that would be good to target with my organic SEO and I love it for that.

If you can spend $500+ a month for a few months to get some good campaigns started then you can pull it out whenever you find the leads getting a little bit thin and drive a bunch of additional traffic to the site.

I would definitely recommend hiring a company to handle PPC. You'll spend thousands learning how to do it and the rules will have changed by the time you get it figured out.:mad:

·
GC/carpenter
44,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do you think I should hire someone even for something as simple as just decks and railing? There is only so many deck specific keywords that are relevant. Thanks Ethan!

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I've run Adwords campaigns for myself and others since it's inception but nothing especially high $$$. It's not a good way to spend your money if you're just dipping your toe in the water. A good campaign takes a bit of time to optimize for conversions and low cost-per-click. That time is essentially clicks that cost you money. Those clicks are traffic though so it's not all wasted.

I use PPC for keyword research when looking for terms that would be good to target with my organic SEO and I love it for that.

If you can spend $500+ a month for a few months to get some good campaigns started then you can pull it out whenever you find the leads getting a little bit thin and drive a bunch of additional traffic to the site.

I would definitely recommend hiring a company to handle PPC. You'll spend thousands learning how to do it and the rules will have changed by the time you get it figured out.:mad:
I think Adwords is very owner-friendly - easy enough to use, and the results easy enough to figure out, that it is something that you can do on your own, if you're willing to commit some time. It's not for dipping your toe in the water if you're not planning to stick to it, but you can experiment and tune your results for a cost in clicks that's less than the cost of a company. Then, as you say, when the leads run thin you can turn on the campaign. I suppose it depends on your preference between spending the time or the money.

I turn mine on and off on a week to week basis, sometimes on for just a few days, so I like being personally involved.

Different approaches.

- Bob

1 - 20 of 56 Posts