Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
More than pushing brooms!
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Google PageRank is a pretty significant element of SEO for any website online. For those that do not know what it is, it is a scale of 0 to 10 that measures the importance of your website online. An example of a rank 10 website would be Google, Apple, and Microsoft. Most websites tend to trend around 2,3,4. These ranks get updated annually to reflect changes in websites, and more.

We had been told that there most likely would not be an update until 2014. It seems that we got an update, "For Christmas". To check your own rank, you can use the google toolbar addon, or just search for 'check google pagerank' to check where your site is. I suggest you do so.

http://searchenginewatch.com/articl...e-Updates-PageRank-Just-in-Time-for-Christmas - if you want to read more.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ive heard about this whole google pagerank gobbldeegook..one person told me it matters, another person told me it didn't matter. I just tune them out :laughing:

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive heard about this whole google pagerank gobbldeegook..one person told me it matters, another person told me it didn't matter. I just tune them out :laughing:
Google engages in some degree of nepotism. Though, depending on the support of Google services alone won't be what carries your website to the top three ranks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I don't have a website currently yet, plan on getting one in 2014. I have a lot to learn when it comes to Google and the online world..

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have a website currently yet, plan on getting one in 2014. I have a lot to learn when it comes to Google and the online world..
Welcome to the digital era! Getting a website is critical to the success of many businesses today. Lucky for you, websites like this one are great resources for someone like you in our industry! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will do! I like your site by the way, very clean and professional looking.
Thank you! That is something you should keep in mind with your own site: keep on topic, stay focused with your content, and avoid clutter!

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
I don't have a website currently yet, plan on getting one in 2014.
You're not alone bill. I recently helped with a collaborative project on the corporate site of a vendor that manufactures fasteners for the construction industry. I was informed that over 60% of their contractor customers do not have a web site. Going back 5 years I know the number would have been much higher.

The construction trades are slow to recognize and adapt to the importance of a web site for whatever reason. Amazingly, even though we're going into 2014, well under half have a web presence. By making that move this year you're still ahead of most of your competitors.

You'll find the majority of CT members do have a web site but the contractors at large do not. And this forum is a great place to get better informed as you move toward getting a web site. Invest some time here and it will be a lot less gobbly ****.

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you DIY or a pro did it for you?
We hired an outside firm to script and program the site from scratch. Why? Because they are the professionals in their trade and I am not. Would you hire a painter to do the job of a car mechanic? No.

There are some DIY websites out there that offer easy to use templates, and affordable packages if hiring a professional isnt in your budget. There is one site I suggest to all small businesses, which has templates and an easy to use online editor: www.wix.com - they have lots of premade sites for the construction industry. More so, a year of hosting with them will run around $80, if not cheaper if you can fine some of the online coupons for their service.

If you can hire a professional, do so. If you can't, trust a site like wix.

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're not alone bill. I recently helped with a collaborative project on the corporate site of a vendor that manufactures fasteners for the construction industry. I was informed that over 60% of their contractor customers do not have a web site. Going back 5 years I know the number would have been much higher.

The construction trades are slow to recognize and adapt to the importance of a web site for whatever reason. Amazingly, even though we're going into 2014, well under half have a web presence. By making that move this year you're still ahead of most of your competitors.

You'll find the majority of CT members do have a web site but the contractors at large do not. And this forum is a great place to get better informed as you move toward getting a web site. Invest some time here and it will be a lot less gobbly ****.
This. What startles me, is the lack of engagement considering the enrichment and portfolio presence that digital commands.

Imagine a QR code on business cards that links up to an online portfolio of completed jobs? The applications of a digital presence are nearly endless, and almost always helpful to a business.

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
This. What startles me, is the lack of engagement considering the enrichment and portfolio presence that digital commands.

Imagine a QR code on business cards that links up to an online portfolio of completed jobs? The applications of a digital presence are nearly endless, and almost always helpful to a business.
Truly endless indeed. The fact that most contractors aren't online is staggering, especially considering how heavily their target market uses the Internet. But the fact that they're not online presents great opportunities. Those who seize the opportunities win.

If you go back pre 2008 the industry mentality was such that very few contractors thought they needed a web site. They were busier than they could handle without one, why would they need it? Then they found out when the market got cleansed and only the strong survived. Apparently, more than half still don't get it.

Your point about hiring a pro is solid and not just because I have a bias. Trying to sell a professional service without a professional web site is very counter productive. Most contractors measure a web site by appearance when that's only a small part of it. As a HO, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference visually between a good remodeling job and one with shortcuts like you guys could, but the differences exist and I could very well notice them 6-24 months down the road.

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The only reason your site is PR2 is because your domain has been registered for almost 14 years (good job!)

My site has a higher Domain Rank than yours but is PR0 because I only registered the domain a couple years ago. So that's the difference.
Yup. Though we have many changes coming through. Around two months ago we had our site redesigned by professionals, are building a article / blog / news feature, are fine tuning our link backs, and more. In short, we hired a marketing professional onto staff who is currently talking to you ;)

Though, the age of our domain is not the real reason we are rank 2. If age alone was grounds for rank, we should be at least a 5! ;)

·
Registered
342 Posts
so the higher the pagerank, the better your site ranks in Google?
From Wikipedia:

The SERP rank of a page, which determines a page's actual placement in the search results, is based on a combination of the random surfer model (PageRank) and the intentional surfer model (browsing habits) in addition to other factors

The Page in Page Rank by the way comes from Larry Page's last name, so it's a double entendre i guess.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts