Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 35 Posts

· David Festa
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Google Negative keywords
I have been using goggle for about 6 months now, I spent a total of $240.00, I set up my campaign and set my spending target low. I did this because I’m trying to get a feel for the market keywords and how and when customers use them. As I’m better getting orientated with Google I noticed I spent $240.00, ON WHAT??, No one called me, so I’m looking at my Google campaign and I find at the bottom of the keyword tab: “Negative Keywords”, it shows me all keywords that Google has charged me, I spent $86.00 on the key words Addition & additions, So I keyword Addition & additions in every combination I could think of, my web site never was before the 3rd page, so why I’m I spending that much money on keywords that are so general and that no one will see my site, this may be that my keyword on my site are not optimized, so for now what I did was to “Excluded” these keywords and many others words that I was paying for that had nothing to-do with my site or a carpenter looking for a job ETC.
I find it interesting that I never heard the term Excluded or negative keywords before, well I am new
And Google hides it at the bottom of the page and it’s always minimized, I think they don’t want you knowing why you are paying for crap keywords?

· David Festa
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Google negative keywords

From Google home page go to campaigns
All campaign will show
There are tabs going across page
Campaign /ad group/settings/ads/keywords/networks
Click Keyword
Directly under the keyword tab is a little box that’s says “see search terms”
Then click all
Oh and hold on it’s a little scary to see what you are paying for

· David Festa
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Google negative keywords

JV nailed it, Google is automatically assigning you keywords that may drive unwanted people to your site, the results will cost you money and create a poor ratings with Google
I’m trying to tell everyone be careful, why should I have to pay for misspelled keywords or job hunters in NY when I live in south jersey, Google is almost hiding the fact that you are paying for these words
Sullivan you almost sound like your defending Google, are paid to post positive feedback???

· David Festa
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Google negative keywords

I got some change in my pocket so I want to add another 2 cents
I think as more small business grow on the web, and learn from mistakes, like getting ripped off by SEO optimizers, our sites are drawing in more traffic organically, therefore less need for SEO and adwords
What’s going to see happen is a lot of SEO salesman looking for new jobs, its great web sites like Contractor Talk that put these crooks in check
Sullivin your wrong again, Google assigned me these bad words I did not create them

· David Festa
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Google negative keywords

I started this thread a couple of hours ago and it already ranks #9 on Google search for “Google Negative keywords” It got there organically thru links? It seems like linking has a major factor in web traffic
Anyone got any tips please share

· David Festa
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My web site was designed to show customers that I have already met, thru paper advertising, my work, and referrals. Not to draw in new customers. It wasn’t until last October when I saw the market drop in my area and started to put entertain the thought of web advertising.
I WILL FIGURE OUT THE SEO GAME, and I will share it all as I figure it out, which is the reason for this post in the first place
And yes SEO are all crooks, the reason is that there is no control, no rules of conduct, no limits, ETC.
That goes the same for online lead providers as well, if left unchecked all of the above will seek out its victims.
We need some kind of limits or rules of conduct when conducting business online

· David Festa
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Google negative keywords

JV thanks for the insight
I just checked goggle again for “Google negative keywords” it now ranks #7
Your conclusion of dying over time has had the opposite effect
7 hrs latter it climb up two spots, 10 more hours it will be at #2, it will never be #1 without paying for it!!!!

· David Festa
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Google negative keywords

CB, I picked up a SEO for dummies and Google Adwords for dummies the other day and have been reading. I’m learning
Also picked up a video on E-bay for $8.50, Stomper Net. It’s a 44 hr lesson on SEO optimization
Good stuff, I have already applied some of their recommendations to my site, time will tell
Anyway Total investment cost: Books $45.00 plus video =$53.50, oh and the $240.00 for my adwords for the last 6 months $293.50.

· David Festa
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Other Problems with SEO

Some SEOs do stupid stuff that will get your site banned from search engines. These people are not the only big problem in the SEO industry. Some SEO firms are too lazy to do a good job.
Sure a site will not likely get banned if you are not aggressive. Of course many terms absolutely require research, a ton of effort, and extensive link building.
Link building (or creating ideas that naturally build links over time) is the most time-consuming and most expensive part of SEO. Often it is also the more important parts of SEO, sadly the process is skipped or done inadequately by many members of the SEO community.
http://www.honestseo.com/

· David Festa
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Web Stat.com

Cb I found a cool SEO site, this SEO site seams legit, I looked her company up doing my normal keyword checks
I asked Jill if I could post some of her insights to contractor talk, I hope she agrees
Anyway on her site she recommends the use of WEB STATS.COM to track your site
$10.00 a month thru paypal, why did I mention pay pal, because it my opinion only legitimate companies use PayPal

· David Festa
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Google negative keywords

I just want to report that I started doing my own SEO optimizing, I got 3 phone calls today
2 where from Google mapping, all 3 said my web site was the deciding factor in calling me, but it was my SEO optimizing that got them there

· David Festa
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Google negative keywords

I don’t think we will see anymore post from SEO on this tread, which has caused the activity to slow down
I wonder if this thread had 2-5 post a day, what would the Google ranking be?
I just checked ranking for “Google negative keywords” Page 3 #26
I think putting the words "Google negative keywords" in title at every post helps too?

· David Festa
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Google negative keywords

Post has climbed to #15
Here is the crazy part
Last night when I checked there was two posting with Google negative keywords
One was under the other; under the first post it says “21 post- 5 authors”
The second post says 12 post- 4 authors; it’s this second post that climbed the Google keyword ladder
So the post that was less popular had better ranking? I’m going to go back and count how many times and where the words “Google negative keywords” are found

1 - 18 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.