Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using Google Navigation on my droid razr max HD. Well, it's gone today. They apparently did some sort of upgrade to Maps, and it's a beta mess.

Just a heads up before you try to find your blue arrow to launch it.

·
Registered
11,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's still there, it's in Maps. This happened to mine quite awhile ago. Maybe a month? Can't really complain when it's free though, it's a great app to use. Indispensable.

I have an iDock and put my SG3 in and use probably the best auto GPS available.
I found something in maps, but very different (and lousy). Yours is like the original?

...even though it's free, I'm complaining. Wish they left it alone.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
I found something in maps, but very different (and lousy). Yours is like the original?

...even though it's free, I'm complaining. Wish they left it alone.
I noticed that it disappeared as well. In maps, just use "route" when you search or enter an address (there's a little car icon), when you do, up comes different routes. Under the first one, usually the fastest route, it will have the "start navigation" arrow right there. If you select the part that describes how much time it will take to get there, it will still go to route options, and in the lower right part of the window is the familiar navigation arrow.

It's just not a separate button any more, it's integrated into Maps. It takes a little getting used to, but it's fine. It seems better to me, no more switching between apps.

·
Registered
11,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Mine works as well as it always has.

Andy.
Bottom line is do not "update Maps" (like I must have done) or you'll end up without navigation (either integral to Maps, as in the previous version, or with the separate launch button.

I uninstalled my latest Maps update (Settings - Apps, etc.) and got back to the earlier version (which does have navigation, as The Duke mentioned), and also my blue arrow. I didn't realize how much I depend on that App....eyeball traffic on my route? yup. zoom in/out with thumb? yup. Pleasant lady telling me where to go? YUP! All these things had been removed in the latest update.

Edit: I see Kent might have found it. But still, I'm happy with my old-school version that I got back.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,685 Posts
Mark, you will find that it will probably update again on its own. Most google apps auto update and you will have to keep uninstalling it.

The functionality is basically the same with maps, just a different layout.
You have to do a couple of things. Mine updated and it was so bad I couldn't use it. Why they do new and improved all the while making a mess of things I don't know.

Uninstall the update.

Go to settings and find the auto update and uncheck the box.

Then go to the play store and again find the auto update and uncheck the box.

If you don't do it on the phone and in the play store it will just keep updating.

I did the uninstall and removed the updating and it has stayed as the old version that I can use and enjoy.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Integrated into maps but also supports Google now.

No longer enter addresses manually just hit the mic button and say navigate to.... and it works just about every time.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,685 Posts
I just disabled maps on my S4. It is constantly becoming active even if I don't use it, which I rarely do. My Maps and Navigation icons have been eliminated as a result. Easily fixed by enabling the Maps function in the APP MANAGER.

I did this to see what it will do to improve my battery life. It's only a few extra keystrokes to get it back and it doesn't lose any data by disabling it.

Lets see what happens.

·
Tech Geek
2,654 Posts
Well how did it go Leo? I use maps daily and I really like the new version. Also now that they bought Waze you get real time traffic re-routing which is nice when I'm driving around the city.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,685 Posts
Just updated last night. I haven't looked at my MAPS yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts