Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how many of you use maps to find the clients address but I just tried Google Maps for the first time and it is sweet. Make Mapquest look old.
Just thought I'd pass this on. :)

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I use Mapquest daily. I'll be scheduling tomorrows routes later and give it a try.
BTW scheduling routes has worked on fuel savings despite a nearly 100% rise in costs. The whole crew has breakfast at Jan's and everything is scheduled from there, tradition.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
We have taxi maps, and there the best I have seen.
Addresses on each lot, subdivisions named, and I can even look up by schools, and businesses.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
One of my friends is the local postmaster. Can you believe that they don't use some sort of economy software? NOPE! Every carrier is allowed to 'develop' their own route. If the carriers Granma wants her mail by 9AM, they are allowed to schedule it. Your tax dollars at work.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I know where one USPS truck spends a lot of time during working hours.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I have never seen any route planning on mapquest, and I don't see it on google. Am I missing something? www.mapsonus.com is the only service I am aware of where you can enter in multiple addresses, up to 5, and it will plan the shortest route for you.

I use that when I have to drive all over the entire Chicago area. When I am sticking to my favored neighborhoods I don't need any software to do a route plan for me. I usually don't even need directions either. I just take a look at the nearest intersection and know exactly how to get there.

I drive tooo much. Speaking of driving how many miles do youa guys drive per year?

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I've been using expedia, but 2 different times it has sent me to places that don't exist. I have had to call the customer and ask him if his house is in the middle of a super market. I'll will give it a try.

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mike,
Mapquest sent me down a snomobile path once. I had to back out a good 1/2 mile when I came to a bridge I would havebeen leary of walking over. Let alond driving my truck across.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
You ever get directions from this customer?

"ya go down the road a bit or two, ya'll see a blue mailbox and a red barn, don't worry bout dat keep going, the fella their has a mean dog" Wife:"Homer, he'd be better off turnin...." Husband:"Keep it closed women, just turn right....or hold on ...dam, left when ya see the corn, or wait a minute, just keep going, were turnin right when we go to town....or hold on...maybe left"

Gota like those fella's.

Bob

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Bob, that's exactly the reason I use these services. Just give me the address and I'll find it. Thoses directions you gave are too true. It takes them 30 minutes to give them to you too.

Am I the only guy that says "Left on Maple, right on Elm, right on Main."? Why the hell do people say "at the 4th light turn onto Maple, then follow the road around the turn and at the 2nd stop sign turn onto Elm...."

"Turn right or left on Maple?" ya simple sonofabitch.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Actually Mike I say stuff like...

Turn West on Grove st. off of Waukegan Ave. It is the first light north of Glenview Rd. and the first light south of Lake Ave. My address is XXX which is the 2nd drive way from the corner of Grove and Waukegan. It's on the south side of the street.

People still get lost.

When people give me directions I am usually already looking at map quest planning my own route. I just say uh huh alot. Or Oh, that's right there next to XYZ street... they really like that I appear to know the neighborhood. :)

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Mike Finley said:
"Turn right or left on Maple?" ya simple sonofabitch.
Arggggggh! I'm with you, just give me the address - I'll find it. Give myself 40 minutes to make a 30 minute trip and I'm always there on time. Why do all suppliers ask 'can I get directions?". Are they just lazy? Then the stupid fux will ignore the directions, call the office from the wrong place and swear there's no one on the job to unload them. I finally shaved my head last week to keep from hurting myself. :cheesygri

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Grumpy said:
Actually Mike I say stuff like...

Turn West on Grove st. off of Waukegan Ave. It is the first light north of Glenview Rd. and the first light south of Lake Ave. My address is XXX which is the 2nd drive way from the corner of Grove and Waukegan. It's on the south side of the street.

People still get lost.
Peoples is about as stupid as we will let them be, don't ya think?

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Been an avid user of Mapquest for years with great luck so long as input is coorect ;) And I gotta chime in on Grumpy, I hate getting the compass directions LOL!! Here in the middle of farm town USA that's what most folks try to give you, especially in small towns, go north 2 country miles, take the hook that goes northeast by Jim Browns place...I remember when we wne cat fishin last year, oh, soon as you pass Jim's place ther will be a dirt road heading west again, that's a short cut, etc... I just cant do the north south east west thing, got too much other stuff racking my brain without trying to rmember which direction i'm heading and then compensating when I make a turn :cheesygri

I always like going into towns where the addresses start oout at one end of town in the low digits, work upto higher numbers towards the center of town then go back down in number size again....all on the same road and a few times I can remember the road was'nt marked N or S to let you know which end of town you had to be on :mad:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
True story from NC. I was looking for a crossroad.
"Go down the road about a mile and it's just past where the old schoolhouse used to be."
Truth; It was almost 5 miles down the road and 'the old schoolhouse' had burned to the ground 35 yrs. earlier.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts