Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Design Build
8,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Google is fast becoming Big Brother through giving everyone "free" stuff that they have operational control over.

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
I installed it too.

The concept is great, but essentially all it is now is a web browser with no Operating System running under it.

If you open every current Google app in its own tab in any browser you already have, you have Chrome OS (for now).

·
2,651 Posts
I like the idea of fast!
But what I'm not for is a computer that has to be online in order to get any thing else done on it. This means if your router or any thing related to the net goes down you cannot do some thing like invoice customers, or play a game etc etc etc.

·
Doer of Many Things!!!
837 Posts
I can see dual booting it. You can use it for when you just want to get on the net and get a few things done in a hurry. Depending on it for production work would be insane. I've dealt with far too many ISPs that don't fix their systems in a timely manner when they go down. No net access would put you out of business with this OS. I can't see it being more than a niche thing. The first time someone using it has internet access issues they'll realize it isn't all it's cracked up to be.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
I like the idea of fast!
But what I'm not for is a computer that has to be online in order to get any thing else done on it. This means if your router or any thing related to the net goes down you cannot do some thing like invoice customers, or play a game etc etc etc.
Invoicing a customer or playing a game doesn't require internet access if you have PC software. That is unless you email invoices, which puts you in the same boat if the "router or net goes down" example you give.

Online apps are going to be the norm. You will be able to gain access from anywhere. The theory is that, for a weak example, if you are at work and you need to make out an invoice you don't have to drive home to make one out. Right from your iPhone, which is exactly what I can do right now.

·
2,651 Posts
Invoicing a customer or playing a game doesn't require internet access if you have PC software. That is unless you email invoices, which puts you in the same boat if the "router or net goes down" example you give.

Online apps are going to be the norm. You will be able to gain access from anywhere. The theory is that, for a weak example, if you are at work and you need to make out an invoice you don't have to drive home to make one out. Right from your iPhone, which is exactly what I can do right now.

With Chrome isn't the OS online? Not on your computer??

So if the net goes down you are SOL for doing any accounting work or other work without the net.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have it installed on a VM and I must say, they have a LOT of work left to do on it before I'll install it as a primary OS.
I think the value here is that it is lightweight and focused on one particular task. Google will be able to sell this to developers who wish to create single use devices. Imagine a mini screen in your kitchen who's sole purpose is to store and find recipes.... it will be much cheaper and lightweight that either creating a brand new GUI or using existing options, such as windows.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts