Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Illinois Window Service
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone try Google Ad Words to try to generate biz? I have tried it, just getting my feet wet (I got $50 of free credit from my web host). There definetly is some strategy involved, I wish I had the time to learn.

·
brm1109
392 Posts
Google

I am in the clean-out business and have my limit set @$200.00 per month. But I have found that I have been paying about $100-$150.00 a month and not one call. I have actually stopped using it for now.

·
Registered
463 Posts
This is a god place to START.
If you haven't gone through these tutorials, you are throwing money out the door. May as well feed it to the dog.

http://www.google.com/adwords/learningcenter/

Google doesn't teach you how to make a good campaign, these tutorials are only getting you familiar with the system. This learning curve is a minimum.

After you have become familiar with the system, you still have to learn how to do it so that you can pay a smaller amount than the rest and get better placements.

Basically, it all boils down to "relevance", meaning relevant to what your customers are searching for.

Keywords used late in the buying cycle (getting ready to make a purchase/hire a contractor) are the best ones to use. They are cheaper than the broad keywords, and more relevant to what the searcher is looking for.

examples, broad to targeted and somewhat relevant to highly relevant:

Googling;

Contractor,

Remodeling contractor,

Remodeling contractor Birmingham,

Remodeling contractor Mountain Brook (high end suburb of Birmingham),

"Hire" remodeling contractor Mountain Brook.

The last phrase is the latest in the buying cycle of the examples. when this phrase is typed in by a searcher, they are ready to spend money. That is when you have to front and center.

You don't care if they see you under the search term "contractor". They aren't ready buy at that point. They are in the research phase at that point. You need to be there when they are ready for a quote.

Does that make sense?

Reactions: tinner666

·
Hokey smoke, Bullwinkle!
187 Posts
If you haven't gone through these tutorials, you are throwing money out the door. May as well feed it to the dog.
So true unless you have a very specialized field. In the construction trades you have lots of competition so you'll be competing with their marketing too.

It does work, it's just like so many other things in life. Anyone can do it but to be successful it takes some skill and experience, you will need to learn a little about it or hire someone to manage it for you.

Here's another good article to help improve your results.
http://www.wordtracker.com/academy/trinity-of-ppc-success

·
Registered
9 Posts
We've been using it for about 8-9 months. Our under deck rain diversion business is very specialized and I've got 8-10 other competitors in Atlanta. Most of them are also using adwords. We all use the same keywords. I get 3-4 clicks on our site everyday. Not a lot. We get 2-3 calls a week and a couple of email inquiries. Most of them do not turn in to a sale. I have suspended adwords until early next year. Nobody is looking for our product in the winter.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Seth,

Have you done this?

I met Perry in Chicago about three years ago when he was offering something similar. Looks like it has gone up (in price) alot.

·
Registered
288 Posts
No, I haven't done it. Maybe someday.

I focus almost all of my SEO energy on organic rankings. I've had some success with Adwords, but as you know it's very touchy, and you can lose money in a heartbeat if you're playing with the big boys.

Locally, Adwords is great, but it's much more productive in a large market. After all, organic search gets around 70% of the clicks, so there just isn't enough search volume in some markets.

But PPC is instant, and can be turned off. So I definitely keep it in my arsenal. But there's only so much time in a day for old Seth to squint at CTR's, ya know?

I would love to hear more from you about your Adwords successes specific to the construction industry, Ivinni.

Teach us. :notworthy

·
Registered
463 Posts
Can't teach you anything.

I haven't used for my contracting work. Never needed it.

The reason I am on it now is that I am testing another revenue stream.

I have found that the principles for Adwords are the same, regardless of the business you are marketing.

Relevance is the key to any of them.

·
Infill Redevelopment Pro
99 Posts
I'm with Seth. Spend your money on organic work like writing articles and submitting them, creating good content, getting your site pages optimized, or buying some key directory placements like Yahoo.

joe

·
Registered
139 Posts
Google handpicking sites on the search engine

when you think you know all ,you realize you know nothing, :notworthy

Google cranks up the Consensus Engine

Manufacturing isn't dead - it just went to Mountain View
12th December 2008
Google this week admitted that its staff will pick and choose what appears in its search results. It's a historic statement - and nobody has yet grasped its significance.
Not so very long ago, Google disclaimed responsibility for its search results by explaining that these were chosen by a computer algorithm. The disclaimer lives on at Google News, where we are assured that:
The selection and placement of stories on this page were determined automatically by a computer program.​
A few years ago, Google's apparently unimpeachable objectivity got some people very excited, and technology utopians began to herald Google as the conduit for a new form of democracy. Google was only too pleased to encourage this view. It explained that its algorithm "relies on the uniquely democratic nature of the web by using its vast link structure as an indicator of an individual page's value. "
That Google was impartial was one of the articles of faith. For if Google was ever to be found to be applying subjective human judgment directly on the process, it would be akin to the voting machines being rigged.
For these soothsayers of the Hive Mind, the years ahead looked prosperous. As blog-aware marketing and media consultants, they saw a lucrative future in explaining the New Emergent World Order to the uninitiated. (That part has come true - Web 2.0 "gurus" now advise large media companies).
It wasn't surprising, then, that when five years ago I described how a small, self-selected number of people could rig Google's search results, the reaction from the people doing the rigging was violently antagonistic. Who lifted that rock? they cried.
But what was once Googlewashing by a select few now has Google's active participation.
This week Marissa Meyer explained that editorial judgments will play a key role in Google searches. It was reported by Tech Crunch proprietor Michael Arrington - who Nick Carr called the "Madam of the Web 2.0 Brothel" - but its significance wasn't noted. The irony flew safely over his head at 30,000 feet. Arrington observed:
Mayer also talked about Google’s use of user data created by actions on Wiki search to improve search results on Google in general. For now that data is not being used to change overall search results, she said. But in the future it’s likely Google will use the data to at least make obvious changes. An example is if “thousands of people” were to knock a search result off a search page, they’d be likely to make a change.​
Now what, you may be thinking, is an "obvious change"? Is it one that is frivolous? (Thereby introducing a Google Frivolitimeter™ [Beta]). Or is it one that goes against the grain of the consensus? If so, then who decides what the consensus must be? Make no mistake, Google is moving into new territory: not only making arbitrary, editorial choices - really no different to Fox News, say, or any other media organization. It's now in the business of validating and manufacturing consent: not only reporting what people say, but how you should think.
Who's hand is upon the wheel, here?

None of this would matter, if it wasn't for one other trend: a paralysing loss of confidence in media companies.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I read on a little and it seems that these guys (authors) are blasting the blog writers for the same thing that newspapers have been doing since their invention. Swaying public opinion. As in this blog entry which was hyper linked in the article above:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/04/03/antiwar_slogan_coined_repurposed/

I would also like to know who wrote what you copied and pasted in your post above. Would you mind giving us the link?

Pew Research Center is hardly an unbiased opinion, as I have witnessed the exact opposite from them in their behavior concerning national fisheries management issues where they effectively fund the experts (university researchers) and "help" them to extrapolate their findings in favor of the trust's secret endeavors.

The "Don't believe evrything you read" lesson that these guys are pushing about Google can also be applied to themselves. that is what simple people describe as "Ain't that the pot calling the kettle black?"

·
Painting Contractor
1,881 Posts
I read on a little and it seems that these guys (authors) are blasting the blog writers for the same thing that newspapers have been doing since their invention. Swaying public opinion. As in this blog entry which was hyper linked in the article above:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/04/03/antiwar_slogan_coined_repurposed/

I would also like to know who wrote what you copied and pasted in your post above. Would you mind giving us the link?

Pew Research Center is hardly an unbiased opinion, as I have witnessed the exact opposite from them in their behavior concerning national fisheries management issues where they effectively fund the experts (university researchers) and "help" them to extrapolate their findings in favor of the trust's secret endeavors.

The "Don't believe evrything you read" lesson that these guys are pushing about Google can also be applied to themselves. that is what simple people describe as "Ain't that the pot calling the kettle black?"
There is political bias to that report, that's why my comment.
This same thing was discussed in the political forum (Google supports Obama etc.) So let's not bring it to the marketing forum, true or untrue it may be.
Google Adwords it is.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts