Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My neighbour and I were talking last night, and he bounced an idea off me. I didn't have an answer, but I was intrigued, so I've come here.

Here's his plan. I'd appreciate your feedback.

His house is about 1500 SF, 1-1/2 storey. Does not have central air conditioning, but he does have a window unit. He runs the window unit to pull the humidity out of the air, not so much for the cooling. (His house, much like mine, stays fairly cool on it's own, but the humidity sure makes it feel muggy).

His plan is to install the window unit in a basement window, where the humidity is highest. His next step would be to install a duct that is close to (or connected to) the output of the AC unit, and run that duct into his furnace, so that the cool air could be distributed via the furnace fan (cooling the rest of the house and circulating the air).

He's got a forced air electric furnace (old but in great condition). Would he be better off ducting the cold air into the furnace before the fan, or after? My guess is before the fan, but you folks are the experts.

Kind of a neat idea wouldn't you say? I'll post results shortly, as I promised I'd help him set it up tonite. :D

Kevin

·
NICKTECH
273 Posts
oh boy

a/c is not about pumping in cold air, but about removing the heat energy existing in the air. if you connect a duct to this air system, the "cold" air would heat up be for it would get any where and do anything helpfull.
however if you were to hook up ducting to the window unit supply to the return on the blower in addition to hooking up ducting to the window unit return to the blowers supply, then you may have your self a whole house dehumidifier.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
IMO he should get a dehumidifier for the basement and leave the window unit where it can cool the living space.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yeah, and dig up the outside of his basement and properly waterproof it, and maybe tear out his slab to apply a proper vapor barrier.

Sheesh, I wouldn't let a residential contractor get anywhere near the house I will build. They are prolly worse than us commercial guys. :cheesygri

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the record, it cools quite well, not cold, just comfortable, and the humidity is gone. Once the ducting from the AC unit to the furnace is insulated it'll be gravy. Kind of a backwoods thing, but it works just fine.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I came in a little late on this one but the idea made sense. Glad to hear that it worked for someone else who can think outside of the box.

·
Registered
7 Posts
yes look in to the aprilair , it is a very good brand, work great. i have never had a single problem with them :Thumbs:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts