Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love a ranch home because I have yet to be in a two story home without HVAC balance issues. My kids' rooms upstairs are hot in the summer and hot in the winter.

I suspect that the truth is in the total design and economical construction of a home, having little to do with the poor old HVAC man.

Can tell me why the upstairs HVAC is unbalanced?

·
Registered
227 Posts
GCMan said:
Can tell me why the upstairs HVAC is unbalanced?
It is quite easy--- MONEY! To properly take care of a 2 story or more home you either need 2 units (one up and one down) or a Zoning system. Add in the cost of ductwork for 2 separate systems, the cost of 2 systems themselves or add in the cost of one system with properly designed ductwork and zone controls and you start making the HVAC system cost more than the majority of people or builders want to pay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i deal whit this every day.. in a prexsting house a zoneing system is your best bet.. easyer to install , only takes about two to three days at most.., a 2nd furnace will cost 2X as much. 2nd furnace 2nd coil, + the duct work wire ran blah blah blah.. zone system is just somemuch easyer and cheeper ..

·
Registered
438 Posts
The installation of zoning on an existing home can be very $$ if the duct work is not set up for it, I see it around here all the time in new homes.

The owners call after the first heating/cooling season for upgrades that hard to complete due to the cheap design of the duct work.

Sometimes its eaiser to just bite the bullet and install a 2nd unit in the attic, rather than open walls to acess duct work.

BJD

·
Registered
295 Posts
Around here all your'e new homes have the 2 furnaces(up and down) I think even the cheapest builder's got tired of the callbacks on unbalanced systems.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Mike Finley said:
What specifically is the problem with the duct work that makes it so costly to retro fit?
When you have space running at a premium for all the electrical, plumbing, computer/networking then rocked into a confined space, you have no room to add dampners and motors or expand the ductwork to handle more air volume without ripping a wall out and/or buiding a chase. Or you have to rip out ceiling in a finished basement. And, it never fails those ducts that are critical are the ones that run through some fancy game room or home theater which means those ceilings are big $$$$ that neither the builder nor the homeowner want to pay to have replaced/reworked. Many times builders push it on the amount of room we have for ducts anyways so adding bigger ducts after the fact is just next to impossible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts