Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having nothing else on hand to take oil deck stain off of a some vinyl siding I either used some Goof Off or some Mineral Spirits. The customer is complaining that it made a mark. It makes the spot that I used the solvent on look a little bit darker than the rest of the siding. He said he used soap and water on the area. I am going to use a cleaner with bleach. Anyone else had this problem with solvents on siding.

I have a hunch it will fade back to normal color in in no time. It is south facing. If bleach has no affect, is it reasonable to tell the customer to hang tight for a few months? Ha... Ha... I am sure that will make him real happy. He was a fun one from the start. He enjoyed cutting deals and squeezing every ounce of work out of me....

Can you just stain this bench too.... How about my mailbox post?.... "I got a bid for $200 less last summer"

Lesson learned on those kind of customers, but I still have to deal with my mistake.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Problem solved

I used a very fine grit sand paper to take the slightly melted layer of vinyl off. The sheen returned to normal, and now I have a slightly satisfied customer again. Oops.

Read your cleaning product info!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Dealt with a similar issue a year ago. Painters used a solvent on some new vinyl and it left "dull spots". I think we used some Armorall or similar product to restore the shine. Worked OK - haven't seen it lately. Spots were small

Flood makes a product called Restora - available at HD. designed to "restore" dull vinyl siding. Haven't seen it work though.

Mndrk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.