Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Custom Home Builder
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 Goodman units in a custom built home. The larger unit began leaking freon within the first year (2005). The smaller unit began struggling with AC this past summer. Recently, it began having trouble heating the upstairs of the home. I called the HVAC company that originally installed the units about 3 years ago, several times, and they never returned my calls. Last summer I did the same and had the same result.

Yesterday, I finally got a hold of them and the tech came by to look at both of them. He said the evaporator coils needed to be changed on both units as they were leaking and were very low on freon. BOTH UNITS ARE UNDER WARRANTY. I told the HVAC Co. owner yesterday that I wanted both units repaired before the warranty ran out this coming summer I believe (5 years?). I also told the tech this today. The tech told me today that he couldn't read the serial numbers, etc... and that the owner would come by soon with a magnifying glass to read them. I laughed and told him that I had both numbers and asked if he wanted them. He said he didn't need them right now.

The tech told me that the upstairs handler had a "wire missing" from a connection and he redid that (something his company did wrong in the first place). The upstairs unit is heating fine now but he says it's costing me more to run them because the freon is low.

He wrote me up a "Diagnostic" bill for $130 ($65 each unit) and left. His bill also states the cost to replace the evaporator coil in the larger unit is $1,000 and $800 for the lower unit. I asked why this isn't covered under warranty and he couldn't give me a solid answer. AGAIN, BOTH UNITS ARE UNDER WARRANTY.

I need help dealing with this problem asap. I look forward to your comments.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
What kind of help are you looking for? Read your warranty info, see if you are covered, if you are get, the company to cover the repair> If you are not covered, suck it up, get the repair work done, and move on.....GMOD

·
Custom Home Builder
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The company that installed the units claim that this isn't covered under warranty. They don't even want the serial #'s from me (they say they can't read them, but I can and have them). "Suck it up"...............$1,800? I don't think so.

·
Steve
317 Posts
Learn from this, build a relationship with a HVAC company for the future. As you already know, the lowest price is not always the best deal in the long run. Service is what will help the next sale be it from your same client or a friend of theirs. You have to pick your vendors and suppliers with more in mind than price. Best of luck, contact Goodman directly and see what happens.

·
Custom Home Builder
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Learn from this, build a relationship with a HVAC company for the future. As you already know, the lowest price is not always the best deal in the long run. Service is what will help the next sale be it from your same client or a friend of theirs. You have to pick your vendors and suppliers with more in mind than price. Best of luck, contact Goodman directly and see what happens.
Do you or does anyone have a number for Goodman? If you are in the HVAC business, does this sound normal or like a rip off? I've tried building relationships with HVAC businesses in our area but it's difficult. I am very tempted to go and get my own license. Doesn't seem to be many good ones here.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Based on what you are writing, this company is not trying to build a relationship. However, beware, the part may be covered under warranty, but, unless you purchased an extended labor warranty, the labor isn't covered. You are not tied to any particular company to do the work. I would do a local search of heating contractors in your area, and find one with several positive reviews. The key is to read the reviews, not choose from the first few contractors that are listed.

Good luck.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Do you or does anyone have a number for Goodman? If you are in the HVAC business, does this sound normal or like a rip off? I've tried building relationships with HVAC businesses in our area but it's difficult. I am very tempted to go and get my own license. Doesn't seem to be many good ones here.
BiggerJunior; I would reccomend going to the Goodman website. (www.goodmanmanufacturing.com) Put in a claim forms, or have a Goodman dealer verify if unit is indeed under warranty. If the init is under warranty Dealer can repair under warranty straight from Goodman. I seems that your HVAC was/is not goodman dealer thus can't verify waranty info or never register the unit to begin with.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I am not a HVAC expert, But
You do not say what size units or the seer rating.
Prices have gone up since 2005 and now have to have a bigger coil for the new minium of 13 seer instead of the normal 10 seer back in 2005.
But last Goodman/Janitrol airhandler I got a few months ago was $369.00 for the air handler to go with a 2 ton heat pump. Now the air handler has the box, blower motor and controls, everything which includes the coil so just the coil should be a lot cheaper.
Your case it sounds like to me the it would not be covered under warranty only because your HVAC guys know Goodman would not pay the price they are hoping to charge.
I agree with others call Goodman or look on the web for other goodman dealers in your area and call and ask them what they would charge or if covered.
Either way lets us know the outcome.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Unless you paid for an extended labor warranty. Only the coil(part) is covered under Goodman's part warranty.

Any HVAC contractor can get you the coil under warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your thread caught my eye because I'm having a Goodman put in right now :eek: But I'm not to worried about, I have a good installer.

I just clipped a comment from another site I thought you might find interesting:

The common problems with leaking is due to poorly educated installers uding flux when soldering (won't hold in freon), not installing proper raises on lines (required when hight difference btwn condensor and evaporator), not installing drain lines correctly and home owners not maintaining them (this will cause coil to rust/corrode). Goodman coils are made of copper lines and galvanized plates (same as all other brands). Do yourself a big favor no matter what system you are having installed or serviced. Download the installation instructions for each of our units - letter by letter - and go over the installation instructions with your installer / service guy. make them do things right and you will not have problems with leaking, etc. Btw: Goodman AC's use the same Copeland Scroll compressor as most other (more expensive) brands. So if Goodman compressor is poor, so is a Trane, Carrier, Lennox, etc since it sthe same components. Watch out for shady installers/service guys - they can easily butcher an install/service to make sure there is more work for them 3-6 months down the line (like soldering with standard tin as used for water pipes - it must be silver blend and no use of flux - just watch "pro installer" videos on YouTube and you'll see many use flux - amazing

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
I have 2 Goodman units in a custom built home. The larger unit began leaking freon within the first year (2005). The smaller unit began struggling with AC this past summer. Recently, it began having trouble heating the upstairs of the home. I called the HVAC company that originally installed the units about 3 years ago, several times, and they never returned my calls. Last summer I did the same and had the same result.

Yesterday, I finally got a hold of them and the tech came by to look at both of them. He said the evaporator coils needed to be changed on both units as they were leaking and were very low on freon. BOTH UNITS ARE UNDER WARRANTY. I told the HVAC Co. owner yesterday that I wanted both units repaired before the warranty ran out this coming summer I believe (5 years?). I also told the tech this today. The tech told me today that he couldn't read the serial numbers, etc... and that the owner would come by soon with a magnifying glass to read them. I laughed and told him that I had both numbers and asked if he wanted them. He said he didn't need them right now.

The tech told me that the upstairs handler had a "wire missing" from a connection and he redid that (something his company did wrong in the first place). The upstairs unit is heating fine now but he says it's costing me more to run them because the freon is low.

He wrote me up a "Diagnostic" bill for $130 ($65 each unit) and left. His bill also states the cost to replace the evaporator coil in the larger unit is $1,000 and $800 for the lower unit. I asked why this isn't covered under warranty and he couldn't give me a solid answer. AGAIN, BOTH UNITS ARE UNDER WARRANTY.

I need help dealing with this problem asap. I look forward to your comments.
Unless you have an extended labor warranty, you are going to have to pay for the labor, also Goodman will not pay for refrigerant, they will only provide the coils, everything else associated with the replacement you are going to get billed for.

I would recommend another HVAC contractor to do the warranty work since these guys can't answer your questions and don't seem to be to concerened about getting you taken care of.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Your thread caught my eye because I'm having a Goodman put in right now :eek: But I'm not to worried about, I have a good installer.

I just clipped a comment from another site I thought you might find interesting:

The common problems with leaking is due to poorly educated installers uding flux when soldering (won't hold in freon),

I can show you 1,000 soft sodler joints, that still don't leak 30 years later.
95/5 requires flux.

not installing proper raises on lines (required when hight difference btwn condensor and evaporator),

Has no bearing on any coil leaking.

not installing drain lines correctly and home owners not maintaining them (this will cause coil to rust/corrode). Goodman coils are made of copper lines and galvanized plates (same as all other brands).

Not all brands. Some use aluminum.

Do yourself a big favor no matter what system you are having installed or serviced. Download the installation instructions for each of our units - letter by letter - and go over the installation instructions with your installer / service guy. make them do things right and you will not have problems with leaking, etc. Btw: Goodman AC's use the same Copeland Scroll compressor as most other (more expensive) brands. So if Goodman compressor is poor, so is a Trane,

Trane makes their own compressors. You won't find a brand that isn't afilliated with them that uses one of their compressors. If you find a Climatuff compressor in a Goodman. Someone pulled the original out and paid a lot more money for the Climatuff to be installed sometime later.

Carrier, Lennox, etc since it sthe same components. Watch out for shady installers/service guys - they can easily butcher an install/service to make sure there is more work for them 3-6 months down the line (like soldering with standard tin as used for water pipes - it must be silver blend and no use of flux - just watch "pro installer" videos on YouTube and you'll see many use flux - amazing
While some of your info is good. It isn't accurate on all of it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
We began encountering this problem a few years ago with any brand we installed. The indoor coils were developing leaks that could not be repaired.

In newer homes the culprit is the drywall & other construction materials having elevated levels of sulphur based compounds.

This caused corrosion on copper & silver materials that has become a major problem.

Google "formicary corrosion", "chinese drywall" & explore the world of hurt to come.

Carrier began a couple years ago to replace all of their indoor copper products wih only Tin Plated units because of this.

We have had no indoor coil leaks since using the tin plated product. The leaks usually occur within 6 months to 3 years, depending apperantly on the construction materials & air infiltration.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
The Chinese drywall is an off gassing problem. Sanding painting etc first, and then installing the coil won't stop that.

Bad thing is. Everybody that has their coils being damaged from it. Is also breathing in those same fumes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I work at a Goodman distributor, if you get me the model and s/n of the air handlers I can tell you if they will be covered. Also if possible tell them you want the coils replaced with the epoxy coated coils. We have been using these for the last 3 years and have not had a leak yet.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.