Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have intermittent ignition problem. Ignitor will start to glow then just go out with out ignition taking place. Getting one blink mode from board. Will happen several times, then ignite normally. Could ignitor be weak? Gas pressure seem good and having a hard time believing gas valve is bad. Dan

·
NICKTECH
273 Posts
after the ignitor gets cherry red and is at max temp, there is a click from the gas valve. the click is a signal that there is 24v applied to the 2 mv terminals on the GV. check for 24v at the coil when the ignitor lights up. if there is 24v, but no click, and no flame, the gas valve is bad. if there is no voltage its either a loose wire of a bad module.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
goodman ignitor problems

NickTech said:
after the ignitor gets cherry red and is at max temp, there is a click from the gas valve. the click is a signal that there is 24v applied to the 2 mv terminals on the GV. check for 24v at the coil when the ignitor lights up. if there is 24v, but no click, and no flame, the gas valve is bad. if there is no voltage its either a loose wire of a bad module.
Thanks for your help. I replaced the ignitor and it was much brighten. But after several times of turning power on and off to watch it. The ignitor cam on and faded out several times before it came on and lit. I think the tstat mounted on blower wheel may be opening prematurely because when i tested with ohm meter it was open. But from what I can see if it was I believe ignitor would not glow at all because it looks like all sensors are in series? I hate to admit it but I think your advise on module may be good. In this case the complet control board. That sound correct to you? Thanks Dan

·
NICKTECH
273 Posts
well it is possible, that sensor mounted on the blower wheel is going bad, you need to check the 2 terminals at that sensor for power with a volt meter. when the unit needs to come on there will be there be a zero reading at the sensor, that means the switch in the sensor is closed(like it is supposed to be) if the reading is 24v then that means it is open. if there isn't an extreme temp comdition in the blower area then that sensor needs to be replaced. however this process occurs ater the HSI is cherry red. these sensors are wired in series to the gas valve. the relay that controls the HSI is integrated into the module board. that process is signalled for by the t-stat. before changing the module check the connections at the t-stat and the t-stat connections at the module. see if they're loose. if all else fails i'd say it was the module.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have replaced tstat in blower housing and so far so good. Seems like stat was opening prematurely. Thanks for your help. Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts