Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a apartment complex with 36 units, all Godman 2 1/2 Tonn units. Complaint today. on 3 units was no heat. checked pressures, seemed normal considering the temp. Outside unit was starting to freeze at the orface, heat inside was very good. but complaints say freezing of unit happens with time, any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
The pressures are "normal" while you are there, but what are the pressures as the frost starts to "grow"? Are the units in question freezing up significantly quicker than the others? Is the freezing the problem or is it a question of the strip heat not coming on?

First thing, determine if the problem is with the refrigerant cycle or wiring of the strip heat. The strip heat should be able to handle most heat loads during this time of the year (in general). If the stip heat can't handle the heat load alone, that isn't good. If the problem is that the refrigerant circuit isn't performing well during this time of the year, sobeit, one can take that issue forward. But, my primary concern would be that the strip heat is functioning first.

Good luck, as I am sure the "other" bright guys will have some good input.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Find a good HVAC mechanic that is certified in Heat Pump Service. All the vital signs of the Heat Pumps should be checked. If you can not afford to do this, then change the compressors as they go bad. Sorry to be so blunt, but checking the pressures is like checking a persons blood pressure. You may find something wrong, but you need to do other checks to see if they are healthy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts