Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone. I am new to this forum. Me and my buddy just started a fence building business. The first job we got is a 6' tall cedar board-on-board fence that has a 4 foot retainer wall built with pressure treated 2 x 6's and with 0.095" galvanized steel posts every ~30" along the 4' tall portion of the retainer wall. The fence posts are every 5 feet and the retaining wall support posts are every ~30".

The company we got all our material from says the pressure treated pine will "push out" the stain they sell and they do not recommend using it on this job.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good stain that will cover the cedar 1 x 6 pickets & 2 x 4 rough sawn rails, but also give a good looking coverage on the PT 2 x 6's and the look on the PT material will match that of the cedar? Ideally, it would be a good mix of quality versus coverage since we have only allocated $425 for stain and I am calculating 2400 sq. ft. for the fence & retaining wall coverage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the $425 is what we have to get the stain, we actually have about $650 allocated for the staining job, which obviously does not leave much for our labor, but none the less, was just wondering what our best options, if any, would be in trying to match up the PT material with the rough cedar in terms of how it looks after staining.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, thanks. I could not find any place to buy the TWP around Dallas. Looks like the only way to buy it is mail order, but at least the shipping is free.

Have you ever heard of anything called Wood Defender? Just wondering.

Pretty cool website. Projects look real good.

Good advice on the bidding. Yes, this is our 1st job and we are being taken to the cleaners, or I guess it would be more accurate to say we are taking ourselves to the cleaners. I think we are going to end up paying the guy to build him a fence.

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
Wood Defender will be okay. Are you thinking about a Semi-Trans or a Transparent color? On PT, I would lean more to a Semi-Trans color. You will need around 12-14 gallons of stain. Wood Defender is formulated for a flood coat. Basically what that means is you saturate the wood to the point that the stain is running down the fence but not in excess. A pump up sprayer will work but tends to waste more stain.

$33 a gallon x 14 gallons = $462.00

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Al over Austin way buys twp 100 series on a regular I am sure Dallas has it.

It's a bad deal all together when the bid is too low, you waste your time and money, it breaks trade, gives others a false impression on costs, and really pisses you off when your done.

There is no reason to learn the hard way. If you know how to do the Job Get Paid For It.

Thanks ! my site is low tech and pure country, just the facts Mam.

JonMon www.deckmastersllc.com

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,357 Posts
John's right, TWP is readily available all over Texas. Try Kelly Moore paint store if they are in Dallas, they will have it. Ben Moore carries it too, but not the 100 series. A couple of other paint stores carry it here, but those are national stores you should have there.

I would also say the rustic color is the best bet to get close to the same color with two different kinds of wood.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't have a website yet.

Sounds like another vote for TWP116 rustic, sounds like I should be able to find it around here if I keep looking.

Yeah, I saw someone talking about Wood Defender on another forum, so I thought I would throw that out there. They have the whole application strategy going also where it looks like they almost franchise out trailers to people who stain fences.

I saw a good comparison article from somewhere that did list TWP at the top. Did not see Wood Defender on there though.
http://www.deckstainhelp.com/category/deck-product-reviews/deck-stain-reviews/

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,357 Posts
TWP is the only stain that is rated as a preservative by the epa. I think that says all you need to know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts