Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What paint would you guys recommend from sherwin williams for white trim sprayed with airless?

I haven't used my local SW much but when I have stopped in there the guy has been very good about passing my name around so I want to start a relationship if they have decent paint???

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
On my HVLP i know its not the same but might work on your airless as well. I use the all surface enamel which ends up very smooth. I have to add about 20% water to thin it but it levels out much better than the pro classic. I prob have to experiment some more with the pro classic but the enamel is a little thiner to start which helps.

Product Tin can Tin Material property Metal

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I will also recommend the pro classic. Weather your brushing or spraying it goes on real smooth.

I recently built some built ins and sprayed everything with SW emerald white semi gloss. That also went on very nice. I like the emerald especially if I'm brushing. It goes on smooth and dries quick with less stickiness than other paints. It is thin though.

Dave

·
Registered
49 Posts
Pro classic for the customers that care and promar-400 for flips, unit turnover, and the rest of em. . They both cover well when spraying. When brushing I actually prefer the promar-400.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Ugh!

Pro Classic blows. Runny. Hurts the head.

Solo Gloss enamel. interior exterior water based. They don't sell it to homeowners, only contractors. Sprays great, nice hang, brushes nice. Not to hard on the head. 30 percent less than proclassic. Also, excellent blocking very quickly.

You know why they sell Pro Classic to Homeowners? Cuz its expensive, runs like crazy and then they have to sand it an paint it again.

·
Super Moderator
28,831 Posts
Ugh!

Solo Gloss enamel. interior exterior water based. They don't sell it to homeowners, only contractors. Sprays great, nice hang, brushes nice. Not to hard on the head. 30 percent less than proclassic. Also, excellent blocking very quickly.

You know why they sell Pro Classic to Homeowners? Cuz its expensive, runs like crazy and then they have to sand it an paint it again.
My painter seems to like it.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Ugh!

Some of the best looking and performing paints take a little finesse to work with. If we're talking about water base Pro Classic it acts almost like an oil base and will run. But it dries almost as hard as an oil base and levels out almost like an oil base. I've used both Alkyd and water base Pro Classic extensively and used both exclusively for trim. I did find one issue with the water base Pro Classic semi, it didn't stick to itself.:mad:
And I don't use SW any more.

I wouldn't use anything under the 200 line it's all crap. Just like any other brand they have good stuff and not so good stuff.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Sherwin Williams Impervo low luster (Benny Moore). Best alkyd out there.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
We just switched to SW for most paint cause we got hooked up on the pricing by a buddy who works there.

I brushed the Pro Classic Alkyd once and it ran like crazy. I assume that spraying it would be better cause you can put it on in thinner coats with more control than brushing it?

·
30 year novice
548 Posts
BM satin impervo is the best oil trim paint I've come across. SW Pro Classic latex is a nice self leveling paint, covers decent and is ok to brush. I do agree with Metro, it tends to creep in corners and V details of the trim, the flats I find are ok. I brush so it may not be an issue spraying. The hybrid version of Pro Classic is off my list of products I will use. I will look into the Solo Gloss, thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Without a doubt Pro Classic. Yes it does have a little bit different way to apply. Do not overwork it as is a tendency to do, it will get stiff and hard to pull real quick. Put it on and leave it alone, it will level out the brush strokes it's self. Do not thin except very little if you need to. A little too much thinning will effect the leveling qualities and can cause it to run. Since it gets stiff quick some guys will start to thin it that is when they get runs and sags.

·
Registered
13,373 Posts
Fuji Q4, pressure pot with mixer.

Inside of pot after spraying primer, a 2.5 gallon will hold a 1 gallon can.

I normally run the pot with my Jc-10, it was in the truck, to lazy to walk out and get it.

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
tjbnwi said:
SW Cashmere. BC, get a pressure pot, no more thinning. SW Multi Purpose primer Wrong and proper pot pressure SW Super Paint sprayed with HVLP pressure pot combination Tom
I never looked into a pressure pot. I find the all purpose goes on like glass though though my 1035 Apollo. I don't mind thinning either as it make it go a little further too. Got 10 12ft long 14" deep window stools to spray soon so I will test some other paint types.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts