Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Geeze, seems like good tools are so hard to find anymore! I have two Porter Cable and two Bostich roofing nailers. My Bostich are getting up there in age, and need to be replaced. I planed to replace them with the new, lighter Porters, but they are far to undepenable for my taste. One of them has been in the shop 3 times already this summer, and the other is all but crapped out, and it has only shot about four boxes of nails.

Anyone have a good suggestion for a light weight, DEPENDABLE roofing nailer? I've heard the Hitachi is about the best. Is that true? I'm not really concerned about the cost, because the four I have now are eating into profits on repair bills. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, HouseDr.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i use a max that I've owned for about six years without any trouble it even survived a three story fall with no damage

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
I had this thread in mind when I looked at a roofer's gun last week at lunch time. They were both using Senco roof stapelers. I know that staples are a real "treat" to tear off, but what are the advantages/disadvantages of staples vs. nails?

·
Registered
6 Posts
mdshunk said:
I had this thread in mind when I looked at a roofer's gun last week at lunch time. They were both using Senco roof stapelers. I know that staples are a real "treat" to tear off, but what are the advantages/disadvantages of staples vs. nails?
done a search and found this

Staples are more prone to be improperly placed than
nails.
The average tearing resistance of two staples ranged
from 21 to 23 pounds regardless of parallel, horizontal
or angle positioning.
The average pull through resistance of two staples (22
pounds force) was approximately equal to one nail (21
pounds force).
The pull through resistance of two nails was 37 pounds
force.
Winds of high intensity will damage stapled shingles
more readily than nailed shingles if the same number of
fasteners are used and tabs are not sealed.
Six staples per shingle will give about the same resistance
to tearing as four nails.

·
Registered
4 Posts
good roofing nailers

Hitachi is definitely the best roofing nailer on the market. Senco and max also offer nice roofing nailers. All are more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
378 Posts
mdshunk said:
Some roofing manufactures do allow staples,but the nrca does not approve it.NO good reason to use staples for shingle roofing ever.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all. That's just what I thought. I will invest in a high end nailer this time. Not that I have anything against the others, but I have to agree when it comes to tools you get what you pay for!!

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
There are no more staples in this state...........period.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey all! Shortly after my last post I picked up a Hitachi NV 45AB. The action is smooth, and sets quite well. I have done quite a few roofs with it already and can't count the number of boxes of nails. 1 1/2, 1 1/4, 1 3/4, it doesn't seem to matter. To date I have yet to have a jam. It feels just a little heavier than I expected, but all in all I give it two thumbs up! I'd consider it a first class nailer.

Later all

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I sucked it up and bought guns. I hear alot of guys bad mouthing porter in this thread but all of mine are porter and have had no problems other than the occasional jam.

Are you guys oiling your guns daily? I oil mine at least once a day.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts