Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

My name is Tony, and I am new to this site as well to the remodeling business! I have been reading on here for months now and everyone here seems to be proffesional and knowledgable. So here goes a question for yall. I have a customer who wants me to install the edge flooring for them despite all of the negatives that I have told them, and the issues they were aware of prior to speaking with me. So I guess my question is if you were just starting out (8th job), would you install the flooring for them or not? I have mentioned returning it and going with traditional ceramic or porcelein tile, but they say they cannot because it was purchsed 4 years ago from Lowes. I have told them that I cannot warrant the floor due to the cracking issues they have, they say that it is not a problem just as long as the craftmanship is proper ie. (cutting, trim, and all that). Would you guys install it or due you think it could be the death of a new company in a business that thrives off of Word of Mouth?
All help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks Tony, Dayton Ohio :no:

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I'm not following what the customer wants.

What is "edge flooring"?

Do they want you to finish up the hard parts of a do it your self project?

Clear up my confusion and I'll offer some advice.--MIKE---P.S. The enter key puts a space between lines.

·
Fisherman
71 Posts
I just googled it. Imagine tile glued to mdf and joined like pergo, then you use "grout" which looks more like a caulking. I would not install that material.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a material that is called a "floating floor". The stuff had a bad rap and is now off of the market (the company filed bankruptcy last November I believe). They want me to completely install it. It connects like a tongue and groove, or a laminate flooring.. just locking together on the edges.

Like I said they are completely aware of the problems in the past, but are adimant of laying this particualr floor.

Thanks Tony. p.s. wasn't sure how to put the space in there thanks for the help lol.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Have them give you a written waver stating that they are aware of potentioal problems with the product and install away according to the manufactures instructions.....

oh and have them give you 1/2 down if that is leagal where you live.

Craig

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
You just have to remember that you can warn them all you want - when the floor fails (and it sounds like it might) - you were the guy that installed it.

Its kinda like fixing up someones elses crappy work - you were the last guy that "touched" it - and now you are responsible.

Tell them to sell the crappy flooring on CL and buy something that will last.

Good luck with your new endevour!!

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
Hello All,

My name is Tony, and I am new to this site as well to the remodeling business! I have been reading on here for months now and everyone here seems to be proffesional and knowledgable. So here goes a question for yall. I have a customer who wants me to install the edge flooring for them despite all of the negatives that I have told them, and the issues they were aware of prior to speaking with me. So I guess my question is if you were just starting out (8th job), would you install the flooring for them or not? I have mentioned returning it and going with traditional ceramic or porcelein tile, but they say they cannot because it was purchsed 4 years ago from Lowes. I have told them that I cannot warrant the floor due to the cracking issues they have, they say that it is not a problem just as long as the craftmanship is proper ie. (cutting, trim, and all that). Would you guys install it or due you think it could be the death of a new company in a business that thrives off of Word of Mouth?
All help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks Tony, Dayton Ohio :no:
One of the biggest things you need as a new business, is credibility.

You want real credibility? Tell them the flooring they have is total crap and you refuse to install it. You wouldn't do something like that to one of your valued customers. ;)

You want trouble? Tell them to sign a waiver so you can knowingly install chit flooring, especially when you don't have any experience with that product. :no:

Forget the dollar signs on this one and pass on it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for your input... I tried again to have them go with a traditional tiling, but they are still ADIMANT ON THE FLOORING THEY HAVE!

I told them I would not install the flooring for them. As it turns out neither would 6 other people! lol

Thanks again, Tony

·
Tile Contractor
1,249 Posts
Good move Tony. Even tho the customer says they would accept your installation you can bet when the floor fails (and it will fail) they will be bad-mouthing you to everyone and will have forgotten all the nice things they said to you to get you to install it for them. Let them install their own floor.:)

You don't need the bad mouth - no one does.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts