Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it was bound to happen.
I have a friend who used to work in tech/automotive. He has spent the past 4 years or so being Mr. Mom. February of last year, I offered to teach him the glam filled world of hardwood flooring.
I started him at $15.00/hour, which is 25% more than folks around here are starting the help at. He learned some, and we share the same demented sense of humor, as well as motorcycle racing, so we had a LOT of laughs along the way. Beginning this year, I gave him the option of continuing on as an hourly guy, or getting a % of the net. He chose the net.
Long story not quite so long, he's still SLOW when he works, and still not ready to take a basic job from the beginning to the end. I'm not talking spiral stairs, whitewash stain, just a straight lay/sand/finish. I made the decision to bring on another full floor guy, and pay him out of my%, so it didn't cost my first guy anything. He made the same money on a job in less time. Well, the first guy started pulling the classic passive/aggressive crap. Working slower, not helping the new guy, blah blah blah.
This week I told him that as of June 1, he has to take a basic job from beginning to end. He didn't seem to worried, so I think he's got the idea it's time to leave, as he won't be working with the new guy.
Now the good news! The new guy and I finished 50 feet of install and sanded just shy of 800 feet on Friday! We work together pretty efficiently, so we will see.
Wish me luck!

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I found myself in somewhat the same situation. Found a carpenter that does great work and I got along with. Decided to have him help on jobs at $30 an hour. Well the guy started working in slow motion, screwing up simple things, finding out he can only do a couple of things within a reasonable time frame and without direction. But the worst was he began to drink way too frequently. Turns out he's an alcoholic.

The last job I did I had enough it was costing me way too much money and stress just with his mistakes and babysitting requirements. I had no choice but to tell him what the issues were and there was no way I could use him full time.

We are still in contact but of course he is in denial and just doesn't seem to get it.

I can put up with slow and perfection, but not slow and screw up. What I don't know is if the alcohol was effecting his work. As far as I know he could have drank a six pack before work he never showed signs of being under the influence.

·
Flooring Installer
796 Posts
I had a relative working for me. At 18 he was great. By the time he was 25, he was worthless. I fired him. No regrets. At 33, he is flipping burgers now.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I found myself in somewhat the same situation. Found a carpenter that does great work and I got along with. Decided to have him help on jobs at $30 an hour. Well the guy started working in slow motion, screwing up simple things, finding out he can only do a couple of things within a reasonable time frame and without direction. But the worst was he began to drink way too frequently. Turns out he's an alcoholic.

The last job I did I had enough it was costing me way too much money and stress just with his mistakes and babysitting requirements. I had no choice but to tell him what the issues were and there was no way I could use him full time.

We are still in contact but of course he is in denial and just doesn't seem to get it.

I can put up with slow and perfection, but not slow and screw up. What I don't know is if the alcohol was effecting his work. As far as I know he could have drank a six pack before work he never showed signs of being under the influence.
Sounds like my old partner from years ago. Drinker. Late 80% of the time. Cob webs on brain until noon. Argumentive. Finally had enough and said adios. Should have done it sooner.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,114 Posts
I don't think you do people any favors by keeping them on when it's apparent this job isn't the right job for them. Just tell them this isn't the right job for them, show them the door, and let them look for their right job - even if that's flipping burgers.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
I had a friend who was an alcoholic. I was paying him 20 an hour and he wouldnt run the edger. Low and behold the next five guys I hired worked harder, longer, for 12 an hour. Gotta pick the right EMPLOYEE. There is no good reason to give someone a substantial cut of sales unless they invest in the business and share the risk.

I dont get to call up my employees three years down the road and say hey you remember Debra? Her floor squeaks you need to get over there and fix it. What, I dont care if youre two states away...

I always get rid of drunks quick. Theyre always drama and they are dangerous to thems3lves and others.

·
Home Repairs
291 Posts
Well it was bound to happen.
I have a friend who used to work in tech/automotive. He has spent the past 4 years or so being Mr. Mom. February of last year, I offered to teach him the glam filled world of hardwood flooring.
I started him at $15.00/hour, which is 25% more than folks around here are starting the help at. He learned some, and we share the same demented sense of humor, as well as motorcycle racing, so we had a LOT of laughs along the way. Beginning this year, I gave him the option of continuing on as an hourly guy, or getting a % of the net. He chose the net.
Long story not quite so long, he's still SLOW when he works, and still not ready to take a basic job from the beginning to the end. I'm not talking spiral stairs, whitewash stain, just a straight lay/sand/finish. I made the decision to bring on another full floor guy, and pay him out of my%, so it didn't cost my first guy anything. He made the same money on a job in less time. Well, the first guy started pulling the classic passive/aggressive crap. Working slower, not helping the new guy, blah blah blah.
This week I told him that as of June 1, he has to take a basic job from beginning to end. He didn't seem to worried, so I think he's got the idea it's time to leave, as he won't be working with the new guy.
Now the good news! The new guy and I finished 50 feet of install and sanded just shy of 800 feet on Friday! We work together pretty efficiently, so we will see.
Wish me luck!

Tell him to grow up...................or move on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts