Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody im looking for a good reasonably priced level case for a 4' smith , any recommendations are much appreciated , have a great friday !

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I like the Empire Duragaurd. Reasons,it is a rigid plastic has more protection than soft cases IMHO, also,screw on end cap. (will not pop open unexpectedly ). :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Well you could get a stabila and not worry about a case.

The Stabila levels got dethroned a couple of years ago. Did'nt you hear ?:laughing:

The new old king of the hill with levels is Sola. I say,new old because they are the oldest and largest level maker in the world. Reason they are the best kept secret in U.S. is because they just decided to make their debut in the N. American market in 2007.

Hands down,they have Stabila beat.

Oh,by the way,they are also a tad less expensive than Stabila !

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fjn said:
The Stabila levels got dethroned a couple of years ago. Did'nt you hear ?:laughing: The new old king of the hill with levels is Sola. I say,new old because they are the oldest and largest level maker in the world. Reason they are the best kept secret in U.S. is because they just decided to make their debut in the N. American market in 2007. Hands down,they have Stabila beat. Oh,by the way,they are also a tad less expensive than Stabila !
i have heard about them but i havent seen one in person

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
I was going to pick one of those up but it only has a plumb bubble on one end. Like i got time to spin a level around all day long lol.

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
The Stabila levels got dethroned a couple of years ago. Did'nt you hear ?:laughing:

The new old king of the hill with levels is Sola. I say,new old because they are the oldest and largest level maker in the world. Reason they are the best kept secret in U.S. is because they just decided to make their debut in the N. American market in 2007.

Hands down,they have Stabila beat.

Oh,by the way,they are also a tad less expensive than Stabila !
Are you sure about this Fred,...Stabila can be traced back to the early 1800's although level production was around 1949/52. I can't find anything listing Sola the largest maker. I would think Johnson or so based on most folks buying cheaper stuff. Could be wrong about this of course.

I went with the Stabilia's on my most recent set. I've posted them before, but here they are again...I lov'em and the soft case ain't too bad either.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Are you sure about this Fred,...Stabila can be traced back to the early 1800's although level production was around 1949/52. I can't find anything listing Sola the largest maker. I would think Johnson or so based on most folks buying cheaper stuff. Could be wrong about this of course.

I think you may be correct about the oldest company however, I think I read in this article Sola is the largest.

But of course,leave it to FHB to want to charge to read it all.:laughing:

I do get the paper edition and this is where I think I read it is the largest.

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/tool-guide/articles/an-inside-look-at-box-beam-levels.aspx

·
Registered
5,855 Posts

I went with the Stabilia's on my most recent set. I've posted them before, but here they are again...I lov'em and the soft case ain't too bad either.
Those levels are too clean. Those pics are from the day the arrived I assume?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Here is some info. on them. I do not own any however,planning on getting some next time around,they are on my radar screen. Best thing I like about them,magnified viles. especially at this stage of the game,lamps getting a tad dim.:laughing:

http://www.sola.us/1824_EN-sola.us-Levels.htm
Just perfect Fred......I already own a million levels and now I want another one.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Just perfect Fred......I already own a million levels and now I want another one.
Join the club. Stabila, Crick, Smith, Port Austin, and the two (or is it three?) Solas that I have.......they are great levels, no doubt, but once you have levels that are accurate (and most of the good ones are almost always that), it just becomes preference......the feel of wood, sight lines, amount of abuse expected, ease of handling, etc.....

Two very enthusiastic thumbs up for Sola......:thumbsup::thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts