Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
90% of new homes built around here use Jeld-Wen.

They seem to work fine for me. If I were building my own house right now that's probably what would go in.

·
Registered
114 Posts
those are pretty good, but if you're looking for good/reasonable price, most lumberyards have several different price ranges. all doors are made pretty much the same except for the really high end stuff. even a cheap door will be seviceable for years if it's installed right.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Most of the "quality" is in the jambs (prehanging), not the doors. Even the hollow core slabs at Home Depot are fine, but their prehanging leaves a bit to be desired- stops mis-set, hinge mortises too deep/shallow, etc. Unfortunately, many lumberyards are buying from the same vendors as HD for their prehungs, so the quality isn't much better.

Bob

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Bob Kovacs said:
Most of the "quality" is in the jambs (prehanging), not the doors. Even the hollow core slabs at Home Depot are fine, but their prehanging leaves a bit to be desired- stops mis-set, hinge mortises too deep/shallow, etc. Unfortunately, many lumberyards are buying from the same vendors as HD for their prehungs, so the quality isn't much better.

Bob

And the GAPS, - - oh lord, the GAPS!! :cheesygri

Couldn't have said it better, Bob, - - on the rare occasion that I don't just buy the 'slab', and fabricate the jambs myself, - - I at least 're-build' those '[email protected]' jambs!!

I remove the 'head' jamb and stops, - - cut the 'head' about 1/8" shorter, - - then after 'fudging' the hinges and hanging the door, - - I re-install the stops where they 'belong', - - and not with 'staples' every 20" either!! ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hollow Core Doors.

All doors manufactured by the same company are not all the same. Most of the "boxes" use what is referred to as an economy door. It usually has fiber rails and stiles. The rails are usually only 1-7/32". You will find that many of the independent lumber and millwork companies use the same door but manufactured to differing specifications. I have been doing the purchasing for an independent millwork company for over 20 years. The door slabs we bring in have double top and bottom rails. We also specify for ours to have wood stiles and fiber rails. The wood stiles make a huge difference if you are removing the doors to paint them. Fiber rails have issues holding screws once removed and reinstalled.
There is also much variation in jamb thickness and stop size. Again most of the "boxes" use a shortcut in this area too. Most use a scant jamb thickness and scant size on their stop.
The bottom line though is what are you willing to spend. The company I work for will never be the least expensive but we do a very large buisness with custom home builders and quality conscious remodelers because we believe in offering a product that is superior to most of out competition.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Bondo bondo bondo LOL but only on doors and jams to be painted. :cheesygri
I have jeld-wen/ nord door plant by me. I think it time to buy some seconds and bondo. :Thumbs:

Edit:
I called them and they told me all upity they only sell to distributors. I liked them better when the were just Nord. Speaking of which I heard they almost banko'd the plant. Keep up the good work J-W. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
158 Posts
As an architect, I have always avoided using hollow core doors since the savings is so small compared to such a big drop in quality which can be so easily perceived by the owner/buyer.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I agree with the Anvil. Solid doors don't cost that much more, have a better 'feel', transmit less sound and are easier to attach coat hooks, etc.

I have a customer who's son took out his relationship problems on his room. He punched a hole in the hollow core door and broke his hand after I replaced it. His father told me that he is discovering new ways to deal with his problems. LOL

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
I have a customer who's son took out his relationship problems on his room. LOL

I sure have done my share of those replacemnts for customers. Hole up high...punched; hole down low...kicked:laughing:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts