Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Contractor
7,323 Posts
This from an article I found dated 2004.

Wacker's new RT 56-SC and RT 82-SC trench rollers depend exclusively on line-of-sight infrared control. Operating weights for the new models are approximately 3,200 and 3,400 pounds. Late-2003 list prices for the RT 560 and RT 820 were $39,085 and $39,600, respectively. List prices for the new RT 56-SC and RT 82-SC are $39,865 and $40,390, respectively.
You can read the entire article here,

http://www.constructionequipment.com/article/CA468662.html

Sounds like one heck of a deal but who knows......

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tgeb i know what they go for new.

You know what types of jobs I do. Would you say I am better with a large plate or one of these guys?

·
Contractor
7,323 Posts
Matt, with the paver systems and retaining walls you do I would stick with a plate tamper.

You want a smooth finish, prep-ed for pavers, or the base course of block. This roller will not give you the quality finish you need. A reversible plate will work well for you.

Now if you are just filling behind your walls and compacting over geogrid or something, the roller will work better.

One of the reasons for the links I posted was to make sure you knew the drastic price difference from 04 to 09. No way I would sell a machine that retailed for 40K 5 years later for just over 6K. Something ain't right....

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not worried about the finsh it leaves as I always do finaly base prep for walls/pavers with the smaller compactor.

Yea I am nervous about the price.

I can get a plate compactor that hits as hard as the trench compactor. But what will be better at compacting subsoil?

·
Contractor
7,323 Posts
That little roller will smack the hell out of your subgrade.

I had a similar one on rent for months at the Temple job I did a couple years ago. I was very pleased with the results. We did have problems with the remote sometimes, no one could figure out what was wrong with it. Other than that it kicked butt.

·
GC
190 Posts
The price concerns me also for how clean it is. Have rented them many times and they have alot of problems. I have a big plate compactor that is much better for base and dg but this roller works better in sticky dirt or clay.

·
Vagitarian
3,589 Posts
The price for that unit is about right. There are quite a bit of hours on that unit and the drums are worn pretty good. This unit just got a new Dupont overhaul. Paint can do wonderful things. You will be better off with a rev. plate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts