Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We all have our tough customer stories but how about some good customer stories.
I have many. But one that has stuck in my mind was a customer named Maggie.
I did work for her many years ago. I remember her telling me as I was leaving her apartment after our initial appointment to make sure I have an itemized contract. She was concerned, as she would be adding work along the way, and wanted to make sure I didn't feel as though I was being taken advantage of.
Its amazing what a single sentence can do to create a strong and comfortable business relationship.

Let's say you:

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
I have had the good fortune to have many good customers.
One in particular we were doing a bathroom reno and my 14' enclosed trailer got broken into and cleared out. They felt so bad they insisted on paying my deductable ($1000.00).

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I have had a woman try and pay me tips in kind before because she was so happy with the work. She was smoking hot as well but about 15 years older than me. I didnt know what to say lol. Her husband walked in about 5 mins after and i wanted to get out of there quick sharp. :blink:

·
FairfaxGC
47 Posts
One particular client for, whom we built out her basement and then the next year we renovated her kitchen , sent us all a honey ham for Christmas and tipped my PM several hundred dollars. It's funny in a way because the basement in particular had several of the un- avoidable hiccups; but, she was always reasonable and just wanted to know how we planned to resolve things.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Most of my customers are great people.

As a thank you-I was given an antique Steinway square Grand piano(delivered too) by one long time favorite customer.

Some people really know how to bring out the best in others.--MIKE--

·
Registered
249 Posts
The project I am working on now is off the beaten path so going for coffee is not practical. However the owners farther lives a few houses away and brings coffee and muffins from DD every Monday and every Friday he brings hot breakfast sandwiches and coffee. Some days I have a dozen workers on the job and he feeds everyone. He has been doing this for three months already and has never missed a day. It is a small thing but very much appriciated. I also have a small fridge in my office trailer and he keeps if filled with soft drinks.

Dave

·
Nest Home Improvement
890 Posts
I also feel very fortunate to have mostly really great customers that we work with.

My PM's and other guys are repeatedly receiving extra $ monetary tips from customers that appreciate their hard work.

Earlier this year we had a customer prepare for myself and crew a whole luncheon feast. I hope they have more projects for 2010!

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I was installing a small automation system for an older couple and I had a few pieces that were defective from the get-go which lead to a host of problems. Needless to say I felt pretty bad.

I was working away and had very few things working and the homeowner gave me a smoked ham, bottle of wine and $100 and thanked me......I said thank you very much and smiled.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
the best ones ive had are the ones that have gone out of their way to make me lunch when i said i was running out for a half hour to get a bite.

had a crown job this spring where the homeowner supplied the crown. needed 120 ft, he "bought 150" but the girl at the counter only scanned one length so he only paid for 16 ft. when i was done he gave me the left overs

the best clients are the ones that actually clear out the rooms were gonna work in and better yet they bbq for us at the end of the week

·
Registered
515 Posts
Most of my customers are great people.

As a thank you-I was given an antique Steinway square Grand piano(delivered too) by one long time favorite customer.

Some people really know how to bring out the best in others.--MIKE--
Got you beat...over the years I've gotten two baby grand pianos. Both needed refinishing and tuning, but they made nice gifts to the musically inclined in the family.

·
Super Moderator
11,936 Posts
Too many great customers to list. I do know that the ones who take care of us get much more in return.

These types get all the "saved up" freebies that I don't give to the PITA's.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I rebuilt a town home two years ago. The customers held an open house--invited all the neighbors
and a few of their close friends.

As a result of that one open house I've picked up 6 kitchens and one house renovation.
Two bathrooms,a repipe job,and over 1000 feet of trim.

They were the easiest customers to work for--every thing they needed to provide was there on time and right.

The first day the gal baked cookies and bread for us!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gee I think I owe them a Christmas card----------MIKE--------

1 - 13 of 13 Posts