Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

My brother owns a remodeling/refinishing carpentry business and I was looking for a good gift to get him for Christmas :) His house burnt down in wildfires a year ago and I know he lost most of his tool, so by now he is fairly well replenished but probably still missing some good stuff.

He does a lot of faux finishes, kitchen cabinetry and staircases, things like that.

Are there any great tools out there under $75 that he would be stoked on?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
haha good eye. I thankfully didn't hear any word on that but he did lose most of his tools. :no: lol
Hey, you sound like a good sister.

Sorry about the barb, I couldn't resist.

There are several tools we can't do without but it varies by trade and sometimes by the current job.

The best thing that I could suggest is to get him a gift certificate to a Home Depot so he can pick out what he needs the most, and the brand he likes the most. Only he knows what that is!:thumbsup:

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
It's hard to say without knowing what he already has.

A titanium hammer would come in at the top end of that range if you can find one on sale. However, getting the right kind can be tricky, since there are a couple of different kinds of handles and such, and it all comes down to personal preference on what he likes.

A set of 3-4 reasonable quality chisels could be had in that price range. Check out Lee valley hardware or Woodcraft.

If he doesn't already have one, a construction master calculator can be really handy.

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
thanks for the (mostly) helpful suggestions!
Dont' go away. We really are (mostly) nice, helpful guys who are all about helping our brother contractors.

The G-Certificate thing is probably the most practical idea, but hang in there because you might get some better ideas from other posters if you want to surprise him with a tangible item that he can actually open on Christmas.

Edit-while I was replying several of our good guys chimed in already for you.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
It's usually the small finer tools that are the last to be replaced. Like tempest suggested--
Nice chisels, Fancy squares with brass inlays -little "bragging Rights" tools.

A trip to an antique shop to look for a special old plane or a rosewood trimmed square-
Getting him a tool that he would not buy for himself--a keepsake--that will mean a lot.

---MIKE---- Look on EBAY a friend of mine makes awls-Little pieces of art-that will give you an idea of what a 'Bragging rights' tool is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dont' go away. We really are (mostly) nice, helpful guys who are all about helping our brother contractors.

The G-Certificate thing is probably the most practical idea, but hang in there because you might get some better ideas from other posters if you want to surprise him with a tangible item that he can actually open on Christmas.

Edit-while I was replying several of our good guys chimed in already for you.
Naw of course not! I can appreciate the wit it was just about my brothers tool so there wasn't much i could say! (or want to think about) haha

The gift cert is a good idea but he is always buying new tools online and i know he likes opening em up so I think something tangible is more fun :)

Thanks everyone there are a bunch of good suggestions I will take the list and ask his biz partner what he thinks would be best for what they do.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
anything with a laser on it ,carpenters love those:thumbsup:
a satellite radio boombox with a year subscription
those japanese chalk lines
1 yr supply of pencils [round or square]
anything with the name festool on it
a multimaster

1 - 20 of 57 Posts