Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this in Painting but may be relevant in here too. I would like to get the paint removed on this chimney. Is this possible with blasting? Pros/Cons? Thanks very much.

Attachments

·
Registered
710 Posts
If it was me I'd use a needle gun or needle scaler and an electric compressor.

$54.00 at Harbor Freight... I keep two of these in my truck for touch-up work.

DO A SMALL TEST AREA TO SEE IF YOU LIKE THE RESULTS.

Its best to remove the refrigerator, range and cabinets. tent it and make sure you have some type of negative air set-up to pull air out of the tenting and outside the house.

You're also looking at a good days worth of work needle gunning.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may try that, Thank you. The kitchen is getting a full gut down to the studs, so I'm not worried about the mess.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Last year we did a full 2 sided brick fireplace. One side was kitchen the other side vaulted ceiling family room. We ran 2 - 4' exhaust fans out through sliding patio doors (one on each side, both within 10ft of the chimney) & had Visqueen draped & stapled floor to ceiling all the way around.

The paint was very similar to what is in the picture. The job turned out better than expected & the homeowner couldn't believe the results. They were amazed.

With that said, The homeowner was quite upset about all of the dust which they were warned about in advanced. The only reason we agreed to take the job was because the house was being remodeled and partially gutted, including flooring and carpet.

I have no interest in doing one again, and absolutely wouldn't consider doing one in a home that was finished. The dust even made it's way throughout the basement...never again.

·
Todd
848 Posts
Soy gel stripper made by Franmar....you will never media blast all of the paint out of the brick and mortar details...to much damage will occur trying. Eroded looking brick looks worse than painted brick.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just curious... would a vacuum blaster be good for a job like this? I see them used all the time for cheap but still have not bought one.

·
Kelly
257 Posts
Blasted the inside of a house once it was a mess left about 6" of media inside the house I bet it took that guy a year to get it all out. It was stripped inside he wanted a bad stucco job removed the dust was terrible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts