Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, got the quotes today from State Fund and one from another insurance carrier about the Surety Bond. State Fund wants $3,300.00 as a deposit for a year for the workmans comp. The other insurance company quoted me 1,223.00 for the surety bond. Just like I thought that it would run around $6,000.00 to get going again. This doesn't even include advertising, tools, ect...

I also have been second thoughts about taking a chance on doing this because afraid of not being able to pull off enough work to justify the cost. Its' just too risky and if I have doubts like this, I have no business being in the roofing business.

California is just making it almost impossible for the small business to be started due to high insurance cost. So I am going to pass and going to have to find another way to make money.

I guess I could just do repairs for a couple of hundred bucks and lower since anyone can do repair jobs in Ca without a license if it's $500.00 or less. But since I have had a license in the past this doesn't pertain to me.
martinbr

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Why not go through a company like Paychex for your payroll? They will bill you weekly for the premium.

Eliminates the large down payment for the comp.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
BattleRidge said:
I agree its bull all the extra costs workmans comp is extortion. Talk about hold the little guy down. I have never had to pay premiums up front though, that must be a cali thing?
I think that comp quote for a roofer is cheap even for Nebraska. If you don't have a recent history it can be hard to even find someone to write you.

Every roofer around here should be busy for a year.

·
Balding quickly
954 Posts
I think that comp quote for a roofer is cheap even for Nebraska. If you don't have a recent history it can be hard to even find someone to write you.

Every roofer around here should be busy for a year.

Im saying that in general its extortion, not 6k but I still never had to pay into it ahead of time except to start a account for 400 bucks. After that our payroll comes off of our previous performance. So I guess you could just start with another name?

·
GC/carpenter
43,896 Posts
Roofers are the only contractors required to have WC whether they have employees or not. All other contractors are not required to have it, if they don't have employees.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Most residential roofing consists of Laminate ( asphalt ) shingles. These can be purchased in 3-Tab, 25, 30 and 40 year shingles. Don't be fooled by the numbers. None of these shingles are going to withstand any type of severe weather in 12 -15 years.

Amite
http://www.NYSunrise.com

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
Roofers are the only contractors required to have WC whether they have employees or not. All other contractors are not required to have it, if they don't have employees.
I don't have work comp on myself. Owners of the company can opt out.
New thing in Taxachusetts: all subs must have w/c.
even if they are the owner w/o employees

used to be able to have them sign the waiver, not any more

1 - 14 of 14 Posts