Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a vehicle and these three trucks look to be in relatively decent shape in my price range.

'98 F150

GREEN FORD F-150, 118,000 MILES, AUTOMATIC, 4 WHEEL DRIVE, MECHANICALLY SOUND, NEW TIRES IN 2013.
http://potsdam.craigslist.org/cto/4169646428.html

'98 F150

runs good 5 speed with 4.6 v8 180k needs no work
'99 Silverado

I have a 1999 chevy silverado. it has roughly 234*** miles on it and running strong. Have replaced alot of things already and have kept up with oil changes. needs ball joints and I have already purchased those they are in the box in the truck. Frame is solid and it is mechanically as well. asking 1700

I'm leaning towards the green f150 although I haven't looked at any of them yet.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Definitely between the two Fords. Less mileage, though it doesn't state the engine size. I used to have the same as the red truck. Got about 18mpg outta the 4.6. The 5 speed will save you some on gas mileage too.
If you require 4x4, go with the green one.

·
Been around
1,165 Posts
At 118K it sure looks to be the better choice.

Tough market though. Any truck of that age could be a real PITA.

You just have to trust your instinct when you look and drive it. If you know you don't have that ability, best to bring someone along who does.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If its teh 4.6, its pretty much bullet proof. If its got the 5.4, your gonna have issues if the plugs havent been done already

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Definitely between the two Fords. Less mileage, though it doesn't state the engine size. I used to have the same as the red truck. Got about 18mpg outta the 4.6. The 5 speed will save you some on gas mileage too.
If you require 4x4, go with the green one.
I don't necessarily require 4x4 although it would be handy. I do like the long bed though. I'm looking at starting a handyman business to fill in the layoffs so whatever truck I get will see some decent abuse.

At 118K it sure looks to be the better choice.

Tough market though. Any truck of that age could be a real PITA.

You just have to trust your instinct when you look and drive it. If you know you don't have that ability, best to bring someone along who does.
I'd say I probably have that ability. The last couple trucks I've had I've gotten burned on though. The Nissan('95 hardbody) I had for less than 6 months and the frame broke 3 times. I was told there were frame issues when I got it but that it should last a couple years. The Ranger('87) I picked up in the middle of th night and it has a number of issues(bent valve,/ valve seal tower on head destroyed(needs new head), leaking wheel seal, rotted out core support, vacuum leak in brake booster, etc.). That one has become my project truck. I paid about $500 for each of those. I hope to get 3 1/2 times the truck out of any of these.

There isn't much I can't fix, just limited by funds.

The newest vehicle I've owned was the '95 so all the computer stuff is foriegn to me. I normally avoid it as much as possible.

There is also a Pontiac Grand Am in the consideration, that one's a '99 V6 for $1999.

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's the text I just got regarding the Green F150 engine size.

He says 4.6L V 8 but might be 5.4L

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's another truck for considration. Just popped up.

1999 Chevy k1500. 4x4 just bought this truck, I have drove it for 65 miles.195000 miles. New tires front and rear Just payed $1500 for this truck so that's wat I am asking. Would make a great winter beater or a plow truck
The person loaning me the money wants me to go with the Grand Am and my first chose if the Green F150.

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
The bow tie has another 200 k in it.
Those Fords are at the end of there life.

I bought a 97 f 150 in 97..After 80 k miles it fell apart . Ford told me to go f myself.

I bought a 2001 Silverado 5 years ago with 30 k miles It now has over 200 k miles on it . A little break work every year or two is all it's ever cost me. I plan on driving it another 200 k.

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Im not a ford guy at allllllllll. The mid 90s f-150s have been known for emision problems as well as transmision issues. Triton = pos

the chevy should be a 5.7 vortec / 480Le trans.........dependable and cheap I have a 96 c3500 that pulled trailers most its life with more then 300,000 miles .

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
5.4 is a 333 IIRC.

Chevy is POS period IMO.

Had a '97 F-150 with 5.4. Pulled way too much weight with it and loaded it past the max many times. Great running truck. Traded it in on ny current truck. '97 had 135,000 on it when I traded it in. Only problem it had was the power window went out on passenger side.

Current truck is F-350 with 5-4. Holy crap this thing gets the job done. I will never say I couldn't use more power but my truck weighs 8k pounds. I have pulled way too much weight with it. I am very happy with the power. I will admit I had to replace the intake manifold but other than that, this thing is a work beast. Back at 135,000 miles and not slowing down.

Bottom line is it is a machine. Machines brake. No matter the brand. Get what you like prey it's not a lemon

·
Registered
818 Posts
I just want a small 1-ton with a 4cyl diesel like they have over in Europe...

·
Registered
258 Posts
The engines in both chevy trucks you posted are more less bulletproof. The early LS engines (4.8,5.3,6.0) had oil pump failure issues and piston slap. I would stay clear of the early ones, but I have seen some with crazy high miles.

The F-150s you posted have an issue were the spark plug pops right out of the head due to an engineering flaw. From what I have heard they are fine until you do a plug change. The measly 3 or so threads Ford used let go. Then its heli-coil time.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
The F-150s you posted have an issue were the spark plug pops right out of the head due to an engineering flaw. From what I have heard they are fine until you do a plug change. The measly 3 or so threads Ford used let go. Then its heli-coil time.
Never had this problem....nor has anyone I know with Ford 5.4. Come to think about it I have had a 5.4 since they switched over to them.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
CrpntrFrk said:
Never had this problem....nor has anyone I know with Ford 5.4. Come to think about it I have had a 5.4 since they switched over to them.
Its a very uncommon problem. I read a but about it back on the truck forums years back. Its the last thing I would worry about when getting a triton in a ford. The tritons when serviced at correct intervals is good for over a million miles.

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Looks like I'm going to end up with the Grand Am. Not entirely happy with it but it will get me around. Its got a lot of rust, just hidden. I suspect the rockers are swiss cheese behind the fiberglass trim and the area up behind the rear bumper also has seen better days. Most of the underbody is pretty rust fre for th age. Apparently the transmission lines rotted off and have been replaced by the dealer. I did spot a lot of transsmission fluid on the suspension components and they said thy would take a look. Brakes were just done. Its a 2.4l 4cyl. The owner at the dealership originally had said 3.4 V6.

The person putting up most of the money is convinced its worth it and didn't want to hear any problems and I was kind of pushed into it.

This image is from wikipedia but this is about what it looks like. The trim piecs below the doors are black on this one and I don't think it has the spoiler. Wheels are steel with wheel covers.

·
Registered
258 Posts
1 - 20 of 50 Posts