Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
some customers are so thick headed and refuse to remove so we have to go over the asbestos.
do you guys throw OSB over it or just 3/8 fanfold? obviously fanfold is the cheapest way.
if you use OSB,could you just nail it or do you need to furr it out?

·
Banned
556 Posts
if you are using regular vinyl siding 3/8 fanfold will work just fine.
if you are using Harie Board 3/8 fanfold will work just fine.
if you are using cedar impressions you will need to put up some 7/16 OSB or 3/8 plywood. why? it needs to be center nailed.
back to the vinyl or hardie,if there is no solid sheathing under the asbestos,only fiber board, you will need to makes sure you are nailing directly into the studs.
finally,if you do use fanfold you should tape the seams. if you don' tape,you can just install some tyvel wrap over the fanfold.
so there you go. good luck!

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
In fact, going over asbestos siding with fanfold is common practice here. You really don't want to disturb that asbestos siding stuff because it would be a hazard to you and your workers. No need to OSB it; the asbestos sits flat enough already.

Just fanfold and vinyl the crizib.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Glad someone brought this up cause I think a job is coming up with asbestos on it currently. That sounds all fine and dandy just going over the asbestos but doesn't it crack and fall apart when you are nailing the tyveck and siding causing uneveness and possible problems??

·
Banned
337 Posts
Fanfold and be sure to nail across the bottom first and keep working up, this keeps any broken pieces in place. Since asbestos is always installed to a solid surface hitting studs is not an issue. Most always you will find ship lapped 1x dimension behind it.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Fanfold and be sure to nail across the bottom first and keep working up, this keeps any broken pieces in place. Since asbestos is always installed to a solid surface hitting studs is not an issue. Most always you will find ship lapped 1x dimension behind it.
Not always. I have worked on many homes that have Celotex fiberboard sheathing and asbestos shakes. I think the paint bond is all that holds them up.:blink:

Reactions: Tinstaafl

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
yes for sure unless you have a nail-able sheathing you need to hit studs

but sometimes like between window or a window and a corner by the time you get your trim on there may only be 1 stud you can hit
and if you can only hit studs forget about using a shake panel that needs a nail at least every 8''

in these situations sheathing the wall with osb instead of or in addition to using foam is something i will try to suggest,gives a nice flat surface and i can nail where ever i need to

·
Banned
556 Posts
fanfold will work as a solid surface. that being said, i encounter(quite often) fiber board and therefore need to nail into studs. i believe Tom just eluded to this as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts