Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there is a going rate for "per diem" to work out of town. I live in Va Beach and will be going up to New Jersey for about three weeks. Last time I worked out of town I received $150. per day above base pay for hotel, meals, ect... any info would be helpful.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
let me expand on this a little more. I am a superintendent for a company that does mostly government work. Due to the large amount of military in this area we tend to do most of our work around here. (south-east VA) However since we are a growing company and the volume of government work available we are trying to and getting more work up and down the east coast.

When they first came to me about going out of town they offered to pay for the hotel and give me $25 per day for food. Since this doesn't make it worth my time I quickly declined. We have a meeting scheduled in a few day to hammer out a deal we can both agree with.

I was hoping to get some ideas from the wisdom pool here on ct. The lady who owns this company is very smart and expects her people to be prepared. If anybody has any prior experience as to how it was last time you had to work out of town it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not worth being away from my family... show me the money..... unless my job depends on it.. and i have been told that it doesn't.

·
Carpenter
515 Posts
What part of Jersey are you going to?

$150/day for food, hotel, and expenses is not even close to worth it unless your job security is at stake.

In the city, $150 will barely cover the hotel.

·
Sean
5,551 Posts
Well Master, I guess the going rate your looking for is "what do you or will you accept" just like every other request for a going rate

Two places to look, that may help you - the Feds per diem rates for different cities & the prevailing wage differences between the two area's (includes a beni's section - last time I looked)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Its pretty close to what we get in our area. But I can get a good hotel for 80 bucks a night too. Even in Dallas or Houston A good one for this area is around 200/day.

That doesnt help you right now but if your ever in Texas it will. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.