Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Has anyone here got experience with Bulk Blast Pots like these?

I have just posted a reply about blasters collecting equipment and I am as guilty as the next man. I have no idea why but I think I need at least one of these. Mainly because they are so big that if my vans were towing one of these when they turn up on site we are making a statement. We are blasters and mine is bigger than yours but are they actually any good?

Any comments appreciated but I obviously know that they are for jobs on an industrial scale turning up with a 5 ton pot to blast afire surround is not the most sensible thing to do, I am more interest in whether they actually do the job.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I have plenty of experience with them. There are pro's and con's to owning them. One, you do not want to pull one to job loaded with abrasive. Two, you would need a bulk hopper to fill with or fill from a bladder bag in which you will need a Lull to lift and extend to reach the opening. Three, these are mostly for large jobs and not for one to two day jobs. Four, you will need lots of air to run one. We ran our's with 825 cfm units. I once pressurized one up with a 375 and it took about 15 minutes to get it pressurized all the way up. Also, they do require more maintenance than your average 600 pound pot.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I also just took a look at the pictures of the pots and those axles are mobile home axles and I believe are not legal for road use anymore. Not sure, but I would check to be sure. We transported our canned sand pot on a drop trailer and it sat between the legs of the hopper in transport. Off loaded with a crane at the job.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
killzoneq2 said:
As long as the tires are not labeled "Mobile Home" you are good to go.
Here in the state of Alabama it's the axles that are prohibited for other uses other than mobile homes due to lack of proper brakes. I had to park two of my older trailers for this several years ago. I was told I could replace the axles and then re-submit the title and I would be good, but I hardly ever used them on the road anyway so I just parked them and now only use them to either store stuff on or to pull around the farm here with the tractor. One has been holding my old canned sand hopper for years now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts