Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going on a cruise, so i dont believe my cell phone will work.

when i normally take vacations i check msg's every night and return the calls....this time i wont be able to return calls for 8 days

would you tell people your gone on vacation or just keep the voicemail the same....

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
And if you don't have employees have another company do your service calls.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you have a smartphone? I'm sure you'll have internet access and something to browse the web? I use Google voice. My office is in the basement of our home office and I don't have cell service down here. When someone leaves me a voicemail, it goes straight to my inbox of my g-mail account. I can actually listen to the voicemail on the computer. I would suggest you have a voicemail greeting telling everyone to give an e-mail address and that you're on vacation. Then you can go online, listen on a laptop or tablet, then send an e-mail if it's important.

·
Registered
11,554 Posts
You could return calls when in port, but don't let it ruin your vacation.

Voice message: "I will be out of town until ____ with limited phone & email access. I will return your calls or emails as soon as I can. Thank you for calling." :)

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
When I have a vacation planned, I change my voicemail message 8-10 days before I leave to something like "I'll be unavailable from June 10 through June 20 and will have no contact. Please plan accordingly". Then 2-3 days before I'll change it again to "Just a reminder I'll be gone June 10-20". The night before I leave I say "I'll be back June 20th, thanks for your understanding", or something to that effect. The world will still revolve while you're taking a vacation. Enjoy it and don't worry about work. That's what a VACATION is supposed to be for! A break from the insanity.

FWIW - Internet and cell service is slow and EXPENSIVE on a cruise. The last cruise I was on (April 2013), internet was dial-up speed and about $1.00/min. Cell calls were $3 connection fee and $1.50/min. Depending on where you're going, you may get cell service in port, (without paying roaming), but who the hell wants to stay on the ship, in port, working?? Not me! I'm out enjoying the damn phone not ringing :laughing:

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
You shouldn't be checking messages when you are on vacation anyway. I change my voice mail to "we will be out of the office until such and such, I'll return your call then". Then I turn the ringer off, messages and call don't happen until I get back. I am thinking of getting a pre paid for next time so I don't even have my phone with me.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
one worry i have if i change my voice mail is people robbing my shop/van/home

i think the chance in remote that a thief would pick the exact days im gone to check my phone msg....

as a small business owner i dont think you get any days off, even for vacation....typically we go to Disneyworld every year......when my phone rings i look at it whether im walking around or on a ride...if its a builder i answer...if not i let it go to voice mail...then when we are back in our rooms that night i spend 30 minutes going through all the voice mails and making call backs.....

if i dont answer the phone how would i set up the work for the following week? im never booked up more than 7-10 days, so if i take 7 days off theres a good chance when i get back i have 0 work lined up

my employee is a laborer, not a plumber....he cant work alone while im gone....

typically i have a plumbing friend handle all my emergency calls.....the friend i used to use is upset with me over something i said/did(he's acting like a woman), so this year i have no one.....i have a larger service company i send odd jobs too when im busy...i will contact them instead this year....i can trust them

·
Licensed Gas contractor
708 Posts
Enjoy the cruise and don't worry. You could always set your message to say you will be unavailable and to leave a message and you will get back to them asap. For emergencies call this number and give that other company. I don't do any of that and I've never had anyone really upset I didn't call them back right away.

Hey, enjoy that cruise and don't worry about work. It'll be there when you get back.

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
Huggy i understand your predicament...Sadly the entire time ive been self employed (over half my life) ive never just completely let go and enjoyed time away from work.. Ive sent and received texts while in my tree stand hunting on many occasions.. The only thing i envy with people who work for someone else is the ablilty to not be at work and not give a chit whats going on at work..I guess im afraid of missing a potential big job or someone saying something bad about me cause i blew off their call...I was told id out grow it but still waiting

·
Registered
683 Posts
I can't say that I've learned how to stop working while on vacation. While I was in Mexico earlier this year I would spend 30 minutes in the morning before my wife woke up checking email and dealing with any issues. I'd say let all your builders/repeat customers know the time you will be away and that you can be contacted by email and will respond when you get a chance. It will be good if you have someone like you mentioned who can be contacted incase of emergency. It may also be worth mentioning you will need work for when you get back so if you can line it up before you leave that I would be appreciated.

·
Registered
403 Posts
if i dont answer the phone how would i set up the work for the following week? im never booked up more than 7-10 days, so if i take 7 days off theres a good chance when i get back i have 0 work lined up
Schedule the 7 to 10 days after you return before you leave. Problem solved.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
It's too bad some of us can't go on vacations without thinking about work. It's the nature of small business I suppose.

As another poster mentioned, it would be great if you knew a plumber who could attend to things while you were away, and you could do the same for him. In an ideal world, he could set up your service calls for when you return, or a least a few of them so you can hit the ground running somewhat.

That's an interesting though regarding being robbed. It would take a smarter than average thief to do it, but I suppose if you had a lettered truck that hasn't moved for a couple of days, a crafty crook may think of calling your # to see if you are on holidays.

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
I'd tell as little people as possible.

You'll come home to and empty house, shop, garage.

I recently went to my nephews funeral.(my brothers ,son-in-law)

While at the wake, SOME a-hole broke into all the cars in his driveway.

Time are getting tough, people only think of themselves
I'm in a rural community, not a city.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts