Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I do a go-over, and the roof meets an adjoining (vinyl sided) wall, I temporarily remove what's necessary of the siding, install flashing and counter flashing like new with the re-roof, then re-cut the siding, and re-install into the re-installed J-channel. Am I a dying breed? Every roofer I've seen around here just butts the new shingles to the (half-buried) J-channel and caulks. It seems most people choose to go for a re-roof after they've already had a problem, and usually the leak is at the flashing. Now they pay a couple thousand for a (new) roof, and they've still got the same leak. How do you guys handle your re-roofs? Do they get new flashings?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
No Tom we do the same if necessary. If the gap between roof and siding is a good one (1" min.) then we might not recut the siding. We definetly loosen it enough to put our flashing behind, that's for sure.

This applies to a tear off or a lay over. I personally will only lay over when the customer absolutely insists... some cities in my area don't even allow lay overs.

Taking the time to do the job right is what seperates many companies. The flashings get replaced on a lay over if they look bad. The flashings get replaced on a tear off no matter what. A roof is only as good as it's flashings.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad to hear you do it too, Grump. Apparently, around here, I'm the only one. That's why I'm wondering what every one else does in other areas.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You guys can roof my house anytime... oh, wait a minute, I already did. You are both right. I would try to insert the tin shingles behind the siding without removing any siding first. It is faster and if I don't have to remove what I think is good siding, I don't want to.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
I always run the shingles up the wall over the siding at least two foot and glue it well with good tasteing pre school paste, a strip of duck tape across the exposed shingle edge and *WALA*.....good to go. But I'm just a storm chaser so......:)

Bob

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Glasshousebltr said:
I always run the shingles up the wall over the siding at least two foot and glue it well with good tasteing pre school paste, a strip of duck tape across the exposed shingle edge and *WALA*.....good to go. But I'm just a storm chaser so......:)

Bob
Bob I was cracking up until you brought up the part about the storm chasing. I've actually seen that done before (shingle wrapped up the wall and tarred in place).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts