Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 60 of 190 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
43,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Why up-cut? You're cutting from the top of the boards, right? If you're doing a full rout with no pre-cut to evacuate the chips then I might use up-cut but I'd be worried about lifting the edge of the cut.
I also think with the spiral lifting isn't as much issue. hopefully

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
have you cut the capped?
I've only used that stuff couple times on small project, cut fine with miter saw, didn't have opportunity to route it, but try a sample first, I think you'll find the spiral bit makes a clean cut, no way as bad as the best circular saw blade cutting material face up

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Your wife's going to shoot you if she sees that on the nice furniture.

Mike, check with Protective Products and see if something like this adhesive backed film could be applied outside for a couple days, safely. Then you tell the HO to have the masons apply it so you're not on the hook.;)

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
lets not over think it. it's a deck not fine furniture. I doubt the customer will be on his hands and knees looking for chipped edges... :laughing:

·
GC/carpenter
43,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·

Mike, check with Protective Products and see if something like this adhesive backed film could be applied outside for a couple days, safely. Then you tell the HO to have the masons apply it so you're not on the hook.;)
This is very important, good call. simply put I will also send it to them in an email as well as the masons.

·
GC/carpenter
43,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)

my wife is in Idaho. the mice will play when the cats away. :laughing:

·
GC/carpenter
43,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
lets not over think it. it's a deck not fine furniture. I doubt the customer will be on his hands and knees looking for chipped edges... :laughing:
I think Ethans talking about the masons getting cement on the deck.
Ethans right to have them apply the masking. If I do it, I then own there mess.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I started out that way but they screwed up the elevations so they wanted me to put my deck first. I will make b sure they mask it.
TAPE THE 1/4" SHEET ON IT. DON'T TRUST THE FKRS....THEY ALREADY SCREWED UP THE 1ST TIME. SIT BACK AND WATCH BRING COFFEE. DON'T TRUST THE FKRS. THAT DEMO SAW GET'S AWAY FROM THEM AND YOUR BACK TO WORK....AND BESIDES THAT CHIT DUST GET'S EVERYWHERE AND THER TOO DUMB TO PULL OUT A HOSE TO KEEP THE DUST DOWN. I THINK I'M THE ONLY DUMBASS THAT PUT'S A VAC TO DEMO SAW. HAVE ELECTRIC (MY FAVE) AND GAS. GO CALI:thumbsup:

·
Registered
62 Posts
This is how we did it. We just ran the deckboards long, and every board i made a just a thick, short pencil line. when all the decking was on i put a brand new frued diablo blade in the the skill saw, set the depth and started cutting. I find it keeps everything looking flowy if all the cuts are made at once rather then going piece by piece. After we ran a router and put a nice bevel on the edge.

Also throw that blade out when your done haha!

Good luck.

Attachments

·
GC/carpenter
43,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
This is how we did it. We just ran the deckboards long, and every board i made a just a thick, short pencil line. when all the decking was on i put a brand new frued diablo blade in the the skill saw, set the depth and started cutting. I find it keeps everything looking flowy if all the cuts are made at once rather then going piece by piece. After we ran a router and put a nice bevel on the edge.

Good luck.
If you keep the blade running in the air after the cut it straightens back out. awe used to use a skilsaw to cut plywood for our arches when framing homes. Thanks for the pictures by the way.

·
GC/carpenter
43,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·

Good luck.
what's that white fluffy stuff on top of your deck?

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
I've had a customer get on her hands and knees looking for deficiencies. Their deck was on the cover of a product catalog and the photographer even commented on how nice the deck was. They're out there and they can be great customers if you're doing it right.

As far as protection from mason dust: Option 1: Carpet protection. works pretty good but some brands could leave sticky residue of left on too long, test on samples left in the sun for weeks.
Option 2: synthetic roof underlayment. Works great. Then add plywood on top of the covering for drop protection, sweep under the plywood every day.

And definitely COVER THE ENTIRE DECK, we struggled with stucco dust for awhile and it would get all over, even 20' away from where the stucco was being done.

41 - 60 of 190 Posts