Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 190 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
43,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What would you guys use to cut this radius around this pool coping? Just Curius to see how others would attack this.

I made a 1/4" template of the whole radius so I can get a good scribe on my decking. The decking is going to be 1" capped composite.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
make a clean template from mdf, nice smooth curve. Use a top bearing solid carbide up spiral bit. Key is to locate and mark the template to your primeter carefully before you put down the deck so you know where to tack down the template. If that makes any sense...

·
GC/carpenter
43,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
make a clean template from mdf, nice smooth curve. Use a top bearing solid carbide up spiral bit. Key is to locate and mark the template to your primeter carefully before you put down the deck so you know where to tack down the template. If that makes any sense...
Yes I already did that exactly, I made templates from 1/4 mdf I also made marks on the concrete to indicate exactly where my template placement will be. Can you post a pic of the bit your talking about. The last time I did this if was pretty hard on the bit. I used a 1/2 shank carbide Freud straight bit. I have a 1-3/4 hp Portercable I'm thinking of buying a bigger router. composite is tough on a router.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
use a whiteside bit and don't try to do it in one pass, which may or may not seem obvious. That's why I suggested an up-cut bit.
top bearing or use a guide bush

it was hard because you used a straight bit, a spiral bit shears the material

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
I've always used a 1/4" and made several passes, larger bit is trying to remove too much material since the bit is in the middle of the material, not edge routing. If you don't push it too hard it won't snap the bit.

·
GC/carpenter
43,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've always used a 1/4" and made several passes, larger bit is trying to remove too much material since the bit is in the middle of the material, not edge routing. If you don't push it too hard it won't snap the bit.
Thanks m1911 for all your info. I don't use routers very often, thanks for the education.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
if you can't find a long enough 1/4 spiral bit locally, to clear the material and template, you'll have to get a 1/2", since more lengths are usually available
but since most of the composite is closer to an inch now days, it should be fine

·
Always Learning
8,680 Posts
I was going to say router...like others. Sounds like you have it figured out now Cali. Looking forward to the pics of this one!

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
You might be able to speed up the guide process by splitting some 1x4 azek and mounting that, if it will bend enough for the radius. Then you don't have to cut and sand the template. The second piece should back the first so it will be more rigid and give you a wider base for your router.

·
Registered
Remodel
30,190 Posts
You might be able to speed up the guide process by splitting some 1x4 azek and mounting that, if it will bend enough for the radius. Then you don't have to cut and sand the template. The second piece should back the first so it will be more rigid and give you a wider base for your router.

That would be my first pick.

1 - 20 of 190 Posts