Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
The Dude
2,388 Posts
There's talk of a couple of US based chip makers getting fired up. I don't have much for detail, but that's what I heard from somebody who would know. It's going to take some time, but it's coming.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
My 3 year old GMC van - local property tax bill went up $45 -- I guess from the index they pull from. That's .50 per 100 value....up $2250 looks like.

Geez, I bought it 20 months old -- depreciated from 33k to 21k. Selling now for about 6k more than I paid.

·
Registered
12,858 Posts
You pay tax on your rigs?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
The Dude
2,388 Posts
"If you take a walk, they'll tax your feet" ~ George Harrison

If you think that's bad - take a gander at why that song was written:

"which saw the Beatles paying over 90 per cent of their earnings to the Treasury."

·
Kowboy
2,469 Posts
I read an article saying lots of our chips come out of Taiwan. If the ChiComs make their move on the island, we're screwed.

·
The Dude
2,388 Posts
The vast majority of them are made in Taiwan. Enough to where if you said "all of them" you wouldn't be far from the mark. Turns out that's not the best idea in the long run.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
This has been going on for awhile for every US car manufacturer. On top of labor shortages for whatever reason. Ford is thinking of sending vehicles to the dealer without the chips then having the dealer install them when available. Chip makers will make things like Apple a priority.

My wife's car lease was up told her to start looking 3 months before, pickings were slim every Cadillac didn't have navigation. She decides to look for 2022's I laughed she found a 22 Hyundai Tucson completely redesigned I guess Korea has no chip problem although it's made here. It's a fantastic suv no comparison to the 18 GMC Terrain she had or any 21's we looked at.

The quality control has been awful on many 20's and 21's. If you order you might get it a year later or not at all.

·
The Dude
2,388 Posts
Korean cars have come a long way. They're the next Toyota / Honda of the world. My in laws got a Kia SUV, loaded to the gills was like 55k. Rides great, and seems like it's pretty well built.

I'm probably going to end up with a transit connect. I've been looking at new trucks, but I'm not gonna spend 50 grand on what they're putting out right now. For 30k though - I'll run that little t-connect til its wheels fall off. It's not ideal, but I can work out of that, a lot of guys in my trade do.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just in time inventory is costing America over trillion dollars in lost FOREVER GDP, IMHO

Would you order toilet paper "just in Time"??????

Condoms?

Food and Water?

Guns and Ammo?

How tens of thousands of dollars did your employees waste waiting for materials on your jobs the last year?

·
The Dude
2,388 Posts
It's an incredibly fragile system. Bean counters come up with all kind of cost cutting measures that have unintended consequences. One of my clients pays me somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 - 500 / month so they can save 15 whole dollars. That money though ... I really have better things I could be doing with that time, so I do try to get them to see the light every now and then!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Korean cars have come a long way. They're the next Toyota / Honda of the world. My in laws got a Kia SUV, loaded to the gills was like 55k. Rides great, and seems like it's pretty well built.

I'm probably going to end up with a transit connect. I've been looking at new trucks, but I'm not gonna spend 50 grand on what they're putting out right now. For 30k though - I'll run that little t-connect til its wheels fall off. It's not ideal, but I can work out of that, a lot of guys in my trade do.
My husband has a transit and loves it. Easy to access tools (not reaching into a truck bed). Sliding door is convenient.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,332 Posts
Those Hyundai palisades and Kia Tellurides are hard to pass up for the price. Wife wants a Tahoe but those things you can still get a decent value if you're willing to drop the 50k a Tahoe is going to cost. They should be doing their damndest to get people to switch over right now.

If I find one that will deal, I'll buy one. It's time. Been putting it off for a while, too long now. Just don't want to way overpay and wife is in solidarity with me on this. The Chevy and Fords are just too damned expensive.

·
Registered
12,858 Posts
We have a Kia dealership that pushes pretty hard. In a good way. Lots of advertisements, 300 a week and you can drive away. Or maybe 500 a week now.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,332 Posts
We have a Kia dealership that pushes pretty hard. In a good way. Lots of advertisements, 300 a week and you can drive away. Or maybe 500 a week now.

500 a week sounds pretty pricey to me. I just want 0% financing again. I like spending what they consider "their money".

Wife is really pushing for a Tahoe. They are just too and proud of them though. Fully loaded Tahoe 3 years old runs about 52-55k with 30k miles. Brand new Palisade fully loaded runs about the same.

We're still trying to hold out for the best deal as her car is what we drive most to drop off and pick up the kids with. It will get driven into the dirt.

·
Registered
12,858 Posts
That's take home income level. Sorry.

·
The Dude
2,388 Posts
My husband has a transit and loves it. Easy to access tools (not reaching into a truck bed). Sliding door is convenient.
The Connect is the minivan, its pretty tiny. I have to have something I can haul kids around in too, so idk. Maybe I drive it for a year or 2 then get the truck I want. Maybe I give the minivan to the wife, or just keep it for a tech to run service calls in or something. They're notoriously underpowered, but I'm mostly hauling around boxes of network cable and equipment, a couple of ladders, a tool belt, and a tote - not a whole lot of hefty gear in my trade unless theres a whole lot to do at one time.

I worked out of a van for a couple of years. Theres good and bad to it. The sliding doors - I had a dude working for me turn over a bucket of urethane glue that leaked all in the track. They're lucky I didn't leave them out there (about 40 miles from home). Aside from that, I loved sliding doors, being able to chuck stuff in and lock it. The downsides are you hear and smell everything back there. My gear isn't particularly smelly or rattly these days but when I had the metal racks, things banged around, vibrations, squeaky noises, and ... ugh. Anyway - its a mixed blessing. For me, a crew cab pickup, 6.5' box with a nice cap with boxes in the sides and a ladder rack is really hard to beat.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts