Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have this job coming up that involves gluing smooth white 4 * 8 panel boards to drywall. Its at a daycare and will be installed sitting on top the base 4 feet high horizontal around the room. I'll be using Pl construction adhesive to attach the panels to the drywall no nails. The walls have all metal studs.

My question is how long do you think before I can move on to the next panel, I hope I dont have to brace it somehow or have to babysit it for an hour. The panels have that smooth i believe masonite back. After I dab some adhesive on the panel I think I should run a 3/16 notched trowel on each of the dabs of PL to flatten it down, what do you guys think.

Well anyway I hope I've explained the details of the job enough so you get the picture. Got around 36 sheets of these panels to install in 3 different rooms along with top caps, dividers and inside and outside corners.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
TMT, fill out your profile completely, and introduce yourself to the guys on the intro page. You might want to try a few test adhesives, notched trowel is the way to go (full coverage) is a must, Vinyle cove base adhesive might work well, a little blue tape along the top edge will help. scuffing up the sheetrock is also a good idea. G

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks genecarp for the reply. i was hoping not to apply adhesive to the whole sheet just around the edges and some in the field. I'll fill out my profile more also.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Are you running "J" track on top of the baseboard?
I have glued and stapled the "J" trackand glued the panels with cove base adhesive as Gene said. It spread easier and faster than construction adhesive. Set the panel in the track,put a squirt of hot glue at each top corner and in the middle a few inches down from the top of the panel and press. Roll a formica roller over the panel. Next panel please

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply Trim40. Never thought of using a hot glue gun. That would almost act as a clap of sorts would it not and it might also keep the panels from sliding down because I am setting them on top of rubber cove base. I don't want to be removing all that rubber base.
Not sure what that "J" channel is. The panels are an 1/8 thick. Is that channel your talking about a little wider than 1/8 inch, if so I could run that all along the room so the bottom of the panels would sit in that. Thanks

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts