Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I just joined this site and have a question. I'm putting down a hardwood floor and would like to glue it down to the plywood sub-floor with PL Premium.

The material will be random length Jatoba, 3/4" x 5". There's about 5,500 square feet to do in all.

TIA

·
The Finisher
1,396 Posts
Hi Guys, I just joined this site and have a question. I'm putting down a hardwood floor and would like to glue it down to the plywood sub-floor with PL Premium.

The material will be random length Jatoba, 3/4" x 5". There's about 5,500 square feet to do in all.

TIA
Why not just staple it down, if its a plywood subfloor? It would be a much easier install IMHO.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
I think if you are set on doing it that way, and the floor pros will have the better advice than I, but I don't think you want to use PL for that. In my life, I've done 2 small engineered floors with total glued surface. One had an orange colored adhesive that I guarantee is better than PL.

Unless the PL specs say you can use it, I would find an adhesive specifically for floors.

·
Registered
967 Posts
you will have problems if you glue down any floor that is not an engineered floor designed to be glued down. Natural wood needs to move, glue doesn't allow for that.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
"PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR PROFILE, AND CONTINUE TO THE INTRO PAGE AND TELL US A LITTLE ABOUT YOURSELF AND YOUR PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE, THANKYOU AND WELCOME TO CT, GMOD, Ps, why glue:eek:

·
Knowledge Factory
1,359 Posts

TIA

Your in WAY over your head. I see 5500sq.ft. of some expensive firewood in your future.:thumbup:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Woe will be you

TIA
I think you're getting ready to ruin 5,500 feet of hardwood AND subfloor. Is this in your own house? Hopefully not a clients? Can I sell you the next batch of wood after you have to tear this out?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Know it all contractors

why do so many of you make smart arse coments,this site is to help people not show off or belitttle people.step back and look at your self.

·
Designer/Contractor
5,308 Posts
They're giving the dude good advice and being pretty entertaining about it. What's wrong with that?

·
Registered
416 Posts
You're right

why do so many of you make smart arse coments,this site is to help people not show off or belitttle people.step back and look at your self.
Dear BBG:

You're right. I apologize for my last sentence above. People mainly are looking for help.

I know what my frame of mind was at the time - I'd had a couple of "discussions" with difficult people who were insisting doing some things correctly were unnecessary and/or too high. No excuse to make a flip comment to someone else because I was tired of dealing with someone else who had rubbed my last nerve. I apologize to Mick D.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Because he's giving us all a bad name if he takes on this project and screws it up. I think we all have a very vested interest in this. Every time someone steps outside of their respective trade to take on something that looks 'easy', I cringe. Been there frucked that up. I've done it too. Leave it for the guys trained to do it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts