Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I've had good results using an ice scraper and grinding a sharp edge on it . Might need to sharpen it as you move along.

·
Interior Remodeling
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rusty baker said:
Use a scraper. A solvent might prevent bonding of the next floor.
Laying a laminate/floating type floor over. They haven't picked it out yet, so I'm not a 100% sure what's going back down. I just know we are doing a floating type floor. Scraping gets it no problem where there's just a strip of glue. But where its smeared out the hairs of the pad just bunch up. That's why I was thinking an acetone or something to eat the glue so it doesn't restick the fibers

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,699 Posts
Laying a laminate/floating type floor over. They haven't picked it out yet, so I'm not a 100% sure what's going back down. I just know we are doing a floating type floor. Scraping gets it no problem where there's just a strip of glue. But where its smeared out the hairs of the pad just bunch up. That's why I was thinking an acetone or something to eat the glue so it doesn't restick the fibers

Need to first establish if it's solvent based, or water based. If it's solvent based, scrapers are probably your best bet, some of the adhesive removers will attack the glues in your existing sub floor. If it's water based, you can use a sander to clean it off. I'd go to the rental yard & rent a hardwood flooring edger & cut it off in short order. Put a palm sander to it & see if it clogs the paper & you'll know quickly if it's solvent, or water based.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Elbow grease and a scrapper. Home cheapo has these 10'' scrapers with a replaceable razor blade on them that work really well on smooth concrete.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Sometimes Ive got better results with a dull rounded edge than a sharp knife edge. This was on 9 square feet. Not really feasible for 1000.

It looks like vinyl sheet backing or is it a squishier carpet pad? If its just felt backing leave it place ! Its underlayment! You could feather out the damaged section you were working on with some ardex.

·
Interior Remodeling
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just picked up a 14" scraper with a long handle and some acetone from depot. Scraper alone works but you have to work at it. Pour lil acetone and scrape and it comes straight up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts