Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
pro
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taught when hanging ceilings to glue and screw the drywall, to me it made since. Is that standard practice or did i just learn from a guy that liked to take a few exstra steps.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I've never glued a drywall ceiling other than a layover, or for soundproofing. But we strap every ceiling we drywall with 1x4 furring strips. If I were to ever screw directly to joists I would definitely glue it.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
for new installs i was taught to just screw it. if we have old walls with wallpaper we would just go over it with a layer of 1/4" glued and screwed

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
They tack it with drywall nails then on to next board. Another guy comes back and just screws all day long. They bang out houses like no one i ever seen. Last job 3,000 sq ft home done in one day with good crews.

·
pro
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When i first started we did 5/8 glued and screwd on ceiling and 1/2 on walls, I now use 1/2 that stuff meant for ceiling (the name escapes me now) and i still glue.

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
The 5/8 drywall goes little better over uneven studs with less bows and sags. Doors are orderd to the width of the correct door jamb as well as window jamb extension.

·
Super Moderator
23,773 Posts
Only times I have seen drywall glued & screwed is on 5/8" board over 5/8" plywood, which was also glued & screwed & edge blocked.

Common installation method in high end residential when they want that dam no texture smooth finish...

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,607 Posts
country_huck said:
that was the number one reason why I thought it was a good idea! but since i moved down south i havnt seen anyone do it so i was curious.
My drywall finisher moved up from Virginia... He was amazed to see me glue studs and use 5 screws per stud (in 4 ft). He mentioned that other contractors around here are pretty much the same and make the joints nice and tight.
From what he tells me, the Virginia boys are sloppy hangers...

·
pro
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lazy? Your clueless to say the least! :laughing: Bring yourself down here for a bit and see if you can make a living gluing and screwing. I worked in the drywall business for 7 years and I'm purty darn sure I've seen alot more drywall stuck to the wall than you and it hasnt been glued.
your probably right but, however over 80% of home construction is track housing by huge businesses that dont care anything about quality, all they care about is that the huricane clips are installed so they can pass code and the rest is :censored: Finishes are not inspected so who cares.

·
PRO
1,936 Posts
your probably right but, however over 80% of home construction is track housing by huge businesses that dont care anything about quality, all they care about is that the huricane clips are installed so they can pass code and the rest is :censored: Finishes are not inspected so who cares.
I've done it domed ceilings, cathedrals, coffered..etc, etc,... in new 12k sf homes and new 2k sf homes. No glue unless your doing drywall reveals.

To add, when I was in the drywall business, we didn't work for track builders, only custom.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts