Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm new to Contractor talk and this is my first post here. The past week I was contacted by a Glidden rep to try their new Ultra Hide 220 product line. From what I was told it sounds like a nice product and the price is even better compared to what I was paying for ProMar 200. Has anyone one on here tried the Ultra Hide 220 yet? If so what was your impression of it?

·
Registered
Remodel
29,663 Posts
Decent paint for rolling, haven't sprayed it. Covering test with an off-white over pink didn't hide it - no big surprise.

I use a lot of eggshell, and won't use any of the lower end Glidden products in this sheen, and have also noticed some of their paints staying a little sticky for a long time.

Ultrahide seems OK, but I haven't used enough to see if I'd run into problems with it being sticky.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I finally got around to trying it. My local rep gave me a free gallon to try. For me the coverage good, every bit as good as Pro Mar 200, I would rate the hide better the Pro Mar. Now I didn't paint over pink but I painted a medium blue wall to a slate grey. The first coat gave me about 90% coverage. The second coat covered the few thin spots and gave it the correct sheen. I'll have to give it few more jobs before I can say this is my new goto paint for customers that don't request the paint brand, but so far so good. For under $16.00 a gallon you can't beat it in my opinion.

Also, no problem here with dry time or stickiness. I painted a small bedroom and by the time I finished the first coat it was dry to the touch where I had started. I'll report back after a few more jobs.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
PPG recently bought Glidden along with some other brands. That makes PPG #2 behind SW in the US in sales. They're gonna make pricing attractive, most contractors are getting overcharged on Promar 200 for what it is.

Other than HD there's hardly any Glidden dealers near me. I've tried very few of their products.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,663 Posts
Other than HD there's hardly any Glidden dealers near me. I've tried very few of their products.
I've tried quite a few. Their America's Finest interior paint line used to be OK - more difficult to use than others and not as good at hiding, but with new formulations, I think it's really only sprayable to get decent results.

The 220 is a good product.

For paint+primer I pick Behr over Glidden so far (slightly better adhesion to green board). They both cover really well, and on new drywall either will work for a 2 coat no primer. That's conventional brush and roller - I haven't sprayed either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts