·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let the light in!
So... I did! w/ a new front door.
3/4 glass, (1-0 3-0 1-0 w/ 1-0 transom)
very nice. really :cool:
And a beautiful install if I say so myself.

Now, the owner is expressing concern that maybe we did go a little over the top.
"I think this thing has a higher see thru factor than I anticipated but, I like the door..."
So, as we sat there thinking of ways to increase the privacy yet keep the wash of light, the suggestion of paint came up. Apparently his daughter did a window once w/ this faux stained glass paint and it supposedly looked great.
:eek:
Im in a tight spot.
If I say I like it as it is (which I do) I dont want to come off as unconcerned or uninvolved.... I want these people happy but, if I agree that it is a good idea to try the paint, well... I'd be saying something different from my gut feeling.
Maybe his daughter is the Rembrandt of Faux glass paint.
Who knows but, I have these visions of finger paint sally doing a bang up job. Anyone see where I heading w/ this?
Help?

Wow... reading back over that I think I may actually be in love w/ that door.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Grumpy said:
Blinds/shades?

Wouldn't the paint peel on the glass after a year or two of condensation that occurs every winter in my area?
Absolutely... If it spainted (no pun intended) it's gonna come off.

The blinds/shades idea just doesnt fly. Just wouldnt look right at all.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I don't know if this helps you, but I had some west facing windows tinted in another house I owned long ago and they didn't really eliminate much of the light coming through but they did tend to change how easy it was to see in from the outside. I think it was just a simple bronze window tint.

Don't know if people even do this in other parts of the country but out here it is pretty common to help cool a house and to help stop the UVs from fading carpet and furniture.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I install sheers on a lot of doors down here. They cut down on the harsh light and visability when closed and can be opened for brightness.
I have also seen static cling appliques that resemble frosted glass.

·
Contractor
46 Posts
GenConJ said:
Im in a tight spot.
If I say I like it as it is (which I do) I dont want to come off as unconcerned or uninvolved.... I want these people happy but, if I agree that it is a good idea to try the paint, well... I'd be saying something different from my gut feeling.
Everyone has different taste. The way to handle your dilemma is in your approach. Feel free to express your taste and your opinion of the door. Just shows your honesty. But just be sure to express the same enthusiasm in your support with his wanting to paint the glass. Just give him your opinion of the door with his idea without knocking it. Again, all in your approach. If you tell him to go ahead and paint the glass you’re almost giving him the okay. Just be submissive of his feelings without forgetting yours. Just tell him the possibilities of the paint peeling. If you can give him a few pro's of his job and not just the con's. It'll show your neutral ground. It'll also leave you out of the loop for any future concerns on the painting of the door. There's no problem with showing someone your favorite's in jobs(especially when it's theres) as long as you don't be too aggressive about it when it comes to their opinions. After all, it's them that have to like it.

Joe

·
Registered
17 Posts
Tinting is probably the easiest option. The glass could also be ordered in several different finishes (such as mirrored, tinted, colored) and reinstalled, if you are or know a decent glazier. I worked several years as a glazier, so I'm always partial to getting fancy glass and reglazing the door and sidelights rather than other options, not that it is ever cost-effective or easy to do. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts