Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a 42" wide, 36" tall piece of safety glass to sit on top of a knee wall for a custom shower.

I didn't think it was rocket science to track this down, but apparently it is. Does anyone know an online supplier i can order a piece of glass like this, and mounting hardware. Preferably a frameless piece.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
I'm looking for a 42" wide, 36" tall piece of safety glass to sit on top of a knee wall for a custom shower.

I didn't think it was rocket science to track this down, but apparently it is. Does anyone know an online supplier i can order a piece of glass like this, and mounting hardware. Preferably a frameless piece.

Call a local glass or shower door company. It's easy stuff.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Tempered glass shouldn't be hard to track down. Laminated safety glass might be slightly more difficult. Not sure how the finished edge is going to look on laminated.

·
Every now and then poster
13,436 Posts
Yeah, call the shower glass guy. By the time you fudge around with that mess you could have a pro do it cheaper with less head ache. Those guys get a substantial discount compaired to what youre going to be able to buy it for. Usually enough to cover the install..

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
Your shower door guy will have options for attachment as well. Let him help design it and it will look awesome. Try and do it yourself and it will look less so.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts

I just finnished this one and had a local guy come and template for the glass and shower door....you do not want to do this yourself! :thumbsup:

http://www.contractortalk.com/f74/master-bath-139709/

·
General Contractor
8,081 Posts
I don't have a glass guy currently. Would any glass guy be able to get the hardware too?
Google Shower doors and put your zip code, you be surprised how many guys you find... get some estimates and pick one you like for the job... you a GC you know how things work :thumbsup:

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
You can also find glass guys through your kitchen/bath supplier. Most of those sell shower kits and have subs to do the install. I just had to ditch my old installer(2 weeks for an estimate?:no:) and I had my supplier recommend the guy who gets the most positive feedback. He did a sweet job.

I'll install a framed shower door, and a few styles of semi-frameless, myself but I'm not messing around with the rest. Sure, I make about 80% less, but I didn't have to get out of bed for that 20%.:thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts