Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys have any specific manufacturers that you like and would refer to higher end clients? Quality being more important than price but not looking to waste money either. Any you would say stay away from?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Glass penny rounds are a bite to install. And there is a ceramic/ glass chip combo that I would stay away from. The glass chips spall off the backing and the cut edge has to be sealed with crazy glue. Sonoma makes it.

There is a glass mosaic design that I've always wanted to install. It has a deep color to start then the color gets lighter toward the ceiling.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a glass mosaic design that I've always wanted to install. It has a deep color to start then the color gets lighter toward the ceiling.
I've seen that and agree! That would be pretty neat in the shower for this particular job too, as there are glass block walls involved as well. Hmm...

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I shopped around for backsplash tile for a customer, and they looked around and found a tile at a "distributor" that sells to public and has a installer list. I found the same exact tile at lowes for 12$ less a square ft.
There are I think 3 ways they manufacture glass tile, the best are color throughout and fired at the highest temperature therefor affecting cost, the cheapys are clear glass with paint on back.
When I had big plans of mosaic glass tiling my pool I found out I couldn't use those cheap glass tile, when I went to surfaces Dave Gobis spoke about a million dollar glass tile failure in a pool in Tampa, I think it was a bond failure.
As far as manufacturers I don't know, kind of a different facility/ machinery I would think as far as tile , would a glass company change over to making tile, a stained glass company, a porcelain manufacturer? China's producing that stuff cheap and combining it with stone etc. in intricate patterns that I think would satisfy anyone's tastes.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I think the best thing you could do would be to get as many samples as you can an try cutting them. Then recommend which ever ones you can cut cleanly and easily.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts