Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having an issue with a glass shower door that was installed in this bathroom we remodeled..the top end if the door is starting to sag to the right and it is now touching the side panel on the right to the point where it won't close now..I called glass guy to come back and he tightened the screws and it was okay..got a call to come back that the door is sagging again and touching side panel and will not close again..door is abut 36x 60..any ideas how to secure the door in place?

·
Registered
9,592 Posts
A 36" wide door is unusual, my guy limits it to 28 or less. Lately our doors have the treatment done to them to prevent spotting and the hinges have to be tighter or glass cleaned better before installing. Glass is slipping out of the hinge?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes iris slipping..it is a rather large door..biggest one I've had installed that's for sure..glass guy said he will come back, take the hinge apart and add some glue but I'm not too sure that will fix the issue

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes blocking was installed..not sure about the screws..I've used this glass guy before and all his been fine but never had a door this big installed...hoping to come up with a solution quick..gonna be doing the master bath next and don't wanna give then a reason to go looking for another contractor

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,447 Posts
The last two shower rip-outs and re-tiling jobs I did, the glass door company said they wouldn't install the doors unless there were double 2x's at the hinge side.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is blocking behind the tile wall that's not the problem.it seems like the clamps can't support the weight of the door and it the top end is slowly starting to sag abit to the right

·
Registered
9,592 Posts
The doors that have a hole drilled in them can use hinges that hold more weight but cost more due to the hole. Yours has a notch and there just is not enough surface area to clamp onto to hold the door. It will constantly be a problem.

·
Registered
9,592 Posts
Better through type hinges are your only option with a door this wide. That's a lot of weight for just a friction hold hinge. Your lucky it has not fallen off from the hinges and taken someone's toes off or worse.
Usually they just explode when the corner hits, tiny pieces all over the place. Anytime you hit the corner it is more likely to break than anyplace else.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I got it, move the hinges and handle to the short side and caulk the door in place.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
2 hinges they recommend max 28" door, and 3 hinges 32".

You could try cleaning the glass and hinge and sandwiching some 3M VHB tape between the rubber and hinge / glass

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gonna try the glue and see if that will hold it...hopefully that works..thanks for all the suggestions guys

1 - 20 of 30 Posts