Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have installed glass into existing raised panel cabinet doors a few times. On the inside of the door I usually just cut off the lip on the style that holds the panel in. I just very carefully plunge cut with a circular saw and finished with a chiesel, a little sanding. stain raw wood to match and add some glass with clips.

The only difference is I have a customer that wants it done, but has arched top doors. I was thinking about routing the lip off of the sides and bottom and sliding the glass into the top, then install clips on the sides and bottom.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks, Dave

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Are the doors square with an arched panel or a true arch with a curved top rail?

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I would rout out a square spot for the glass.

Yes you would see the back of the top rail through the glass when the door is open but it looks fine. So you will need to get that finish ready.

That is how the big door companies build them too.

The glass is way cheaper when you can just cut it square.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Gus,

That sounds like a very good idea, and the best part is they want frosted glass so you won't even be able to see the inside of the style.

Thanks, Dave

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Glad I could help.

A template and a reverse flush cutter would do the trick.

That is after you carve the panel out. Your saw trick on the bottom and sides will release the panel.
It is prolly square by the way. So you could just cut the top out the same way.:thumbsup:

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Brain fart on that last part.

That raised panel won't be square. I had flat panel in my thick skull some how.

You should count on the router thing.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
I would rout out a square spot for the glass.

Yes you would see the back of the top rail through the glass when the door is open but it looks fine. So you will need to get that finish ready.

That is how the big door companies build them too.

The glass is way cheaper when you can just cut it square.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Is a "reverse flush cutter" the same as a straight-cutting bit with a top bearing the same diameter as the cutter? One way or another, that's what I'd use.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Cut out the raised panel by jig sawing it close to the edge from the inside, Then do whatever it take to get the remaining panel out of the edges(pliers, screwdrivers etc) Then remove the staples that hold the panel in. Make sure you get them all. Then using a rabbetting bit from the inside, rabbet out the inside using the arched or square profile as your guid. Your glass will be square even if you have a arched top (usually). Order the glass and silicone from the inside. You'll be able to see the back side when the door is open but thats OK. I've done a lot of these. I usually charge 30 to 40 per door depending.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts