Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know why this was deleted, it wasn't a do it yourself question.

Can anyone share advice on replacing a window in bath/shower with glass block?

Flashing/ waterproofing?

Pre-made vs building it?

Any other info?

I never did one before.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I got these from Pittsburg/Corning, complete with vinyl frame with nailing flange. They are real glass block with siliconed joints instead of mortar.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I don't know why this was deleted, it wasn't a do it yourself question
It shouldn't have been deleted, you were the victim of the heavy hand of moderation, which purports to know who you are, what you do, and why you want to do it, from one sentence.

This is not a forum for Joe Homeowner DIY'er, but it is reasonable to expect that contractors will ask questions. Should people be given the benefit of the doubt? Absolutely. Your question was reasonable, and even if you were bringing in a blockie, you need to understand what building details he may reasonably expect you to provide.

Another way people act like Internet creeps, is by the constant screaming "fill out your profile, fill out your profile". While this may be reasonable when asking about differing stucco details between Saudi Arabia and Sitka, it should be a persons private choice. When a regional differences do become important, that can be expressed in the question.

So for all you moderators, and wanna be moderators, grow the #### up.

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
It shouldn't have been deleted, you were the victim of the heavy hand of moderation, which purports to know who you are, what you do, and why you want to do it, from one sentence.

This is not a forum for Joe Homeowner DIY'er, but it is reasonable to expect that contractors will ask questions. Should people be given the benefit of the doubt? Absolutely. Your question was reasonable, and even if you were bringing in a blockie, you need to understand what building details he may reasonably expect you to provide.

Another way people act like Internet creeps, is by the constant screaming "fill out your profile, fill out your profile". While this may be reasonable when asking about differing stucco details between Saudi Arabia and Sitka, it should be a person private choice. When a regional differences do become important, that can be expressed in the question.

Wow, I had no idea asking a new member to follow the posted rules put me in the "internet creep" category. :blink:

Actually, had he filled out his profile, perhaps his question would have been addressed. How do we know he's not the internet creep?

So by your suggestion to break the rules of the site, does that make you one step ahead of me by being a Nathan-wanna be?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Wow, I had no idea asking a new member to follow the posted rules put me in the "Internet creep" category. :blink:
How-To Questions: Contractor Talk is a site for professional contractors to come and share business and trade knowledge. From time to time everyone runs into new situations that they’ve never seen before or that they need help with. While it’s fine for members to ask for help it’s not OK for members to ask how-to questions when they are clearly in over their head or don’t have the experience needed to complete the task. How-To threads will be closed on a case by case basis.

You had no basis to imply that he was not following the rules, especially #6. You know he was a DIY'er? You know he was clearly "in over his head"? No, you just acted like a little Internet cop, sticking his nose where it did not belong. Time will tell whether the OP is a homeowner or a contractor, but everybody deserves the benefit of the doubt, without someone screeching about the rules

·
Registered
5,425 Posts

Another way people act like Internet creeps, is by the constant screaming "fill out your profile, fill out your profile". While this may be reasonable when asking about differing stucco details between Saudi Arabia and Sitka, it should be a persons private choice. When a regional differences do become important, that can be expressed in the question.

When someone agrees to the posistion of moderator, they understand that all of there decisions will not be popular. Someone filling out a profile is a reasonable request prior to asking technical questions. CT is a forum for proffessional contractors. Would you walk into a room(or a bar) full of contractors who know each other, step into the middle and ask a tech question? Hopefully not. Come into CT, introduce yourself, get to know the guys, then ask away, its really not that complicated, just like real life, use common sense. G

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
When you walk into a bar, does everyone start screaming at you "what's your name? what's your name?"
Not really, but I generally don't get much "technical" information from the ladies before I introduce myself.:whistling

·
Sean
5,532 Posts
Looks like somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed or his mommy didn't let him watch cartoons this morning.

Regional issues occur in almost everything a builder deals with - so thus the location is needed in many cases. If you choose not to fill it out, well that is your prerogative - but not helping out is ours also. As for Angus saying it looks like, is that not actually helping / trying to explain what others may have seen?

A few manners goes a long way - not only on the internet but real life

To the OP - I would go with LoneFramers suggestion - especially if you have never dealt with them before or hire a pro in that area

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Why the heck isn't filling out your profile simply required as part of the registration process when first registering a user name?

Seems like a freak'n no brainer to me. Have the software require a new user to fill out all those blank forms when they sign up, then that's the end of it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thans for the defense from some of you guys.

I guess i didn't realize this was a social event. SO hey everyone hows it going, I'm the new guy here. I do home remodeling..........

Anyway to the 2 people who answered my question I appreciate it. I have heard mixed things about the prebuilt vinyl framed ones. Someone told me they orderd one and sent it back because it didn't seem tight enough in the frame to stay water tight? I guess that wasn't you experience with it? I just want to be sure it wont leak in a high moisture environment like a shower.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Don't take it too personal. Stick around long enough and read some other threads you'll get the jist off why guys react the way they do on here.

There's PLENTY of good guys with GOOD advice,tips etc they just like to know your legit.:thumbsup:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Thans for the defense from some of you guys.

I guess i didn't realize this was a social event. SO hey everyone hows it going, I'm the new guy here. I do home remodeling..........

Anyway to the 2 people who answered my question I appreciate it. I have heard mixed things about the prebuilt vinyl framed ones. Someone told me they orderd one and sent it back because it didn't seem tight enough in the frame to stay water tight? I guess that wasn't you experience with it? I just want to be sure it wont leak in a high moisture environment like a shower.

Thanks all.
I never had a problem while I was living there and the people that bought the place 7 years ago left them in after a bathroom remodel. They still look great.:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts