Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on a few other post we all got talking about glass beeds.
I found that my local Sherwin Williams store sells the tiny ones that are used on line stripping ( reflects light on the yellow lines)
The manager quoted me a price from the hip at $10 bucks per 50 lb bag
I found out for sure what it was sold for
(and think he had me by the hips)
1.39 per pound = 69.50 per 50 lb bag Wow and I thought soda and walnut shells shipped to Maine was bad

·
Registered
21 Posts
on a few other post we all got talking about glass beeds.
I found that my local Sherwin Williams store sells the tiny ones that are used on line stripping ( reflects light on the yellow lines)
The manager quoted me a price from the hip at $10 bucks per 50 lb bag
I found out for sure what it was sold for
(and think he had me by the hips)
1.39 per pound = 69.50 per 50 lb bag Wow and I thought soda and walnut shells shipped to Maine was bad
That's nuts! We sell for about €20.00 per 55 lb bagwhen buying buy the ton.

·
Kelly
257 Posts
Usually glass bead is expensive made to reuse several times in a recycling blaster. When I worked in a machine shop we blasted cyl heads with it during the rebuild process worked great inside the cabinet.

·
Bob
512 Posts
Yeah, you don't hear of bead being used much in open air blasting but if you need fairly aggressive cleaning but don't want to leave a profile on a project it can be the media to use.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I recently came across two different types of #10 glass beads.

My first order were #10 glass beads from China... my guys were all laughing because the lettering on the bags were HUGE!... as in
#10 GLASS BEADS
MADE IN CHINA

The second order were #10 glass beads and they were from Potter here in the states.

Performance wise they performed very similar.... the Chinese beads were cheaper, but the distributor was trying to dump them and I got a good price on them. :thumbup:

The potter beads come in pretty bags. ;)

·
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
painter213 said:
China, Japan, it's all the same to those people in Maine you know.
Lol

I've been getting emails from India, and japan for there garnet and glass beads .. Looking for distributors

I think everyone's getting the emails

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I know what you mean. I got a call the other week from a company in China that was looking for a CEO to run a Polyurea formulating company here in the USA. They said that from there research that there was very few formulators here in the USA. I had to tell them that there research was wrong and that would not be a smart move on there part. Just about every coatings company today has a Polyurea formula on there books here in the USA. I think it was a scam anyway.

·
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sand Pot said:
Jim, the melting reactor is in Japan . . . gotta get out more often there buddy!
Lol if I get out of Maine to NH that's a road trip
Getting to the big city of a Boston, now that's a huge trip

1 - 14 of 14 Posts