Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've looked everywhere around here as well as online. Glass beads are pricey!!

It seems that the average price for a 50# bag of fine or med/fine glass beads is about $35.

My local pool supply yard has bags of the med/fine glass beads for $12.50 per 50# bag. Go down to fine, then it jumps up to $30 a 50# bag. Is the med/fine possibly not the right stuff? A little leary since that seems way too cheap compared to everything else. Any input?

Thanks!!

·
Todd
848 Posts
Last weeki I paid .62 per lb for AE Ballotini beads. This a media that typically is not shot as a one time use and is recycled over and over.
Remember... You are not buying this media, your customers are.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Todd. I did some more investigating today. What the sales guy told me was med/fine glass beads were actually crushed glass, and the guys around here cleaning tile mainly use that. Its 12.50 per 50#. Way cheaper than glass beads. They do carry the Ballotini beads and they are 33.00 per 50#. Thanks!!!

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Big, the other guys may or may not be using crushed glass. The sales guy may not know what he is talking about. Crushed glass will most defiantly change the surface of the tile drastically. It will be etched and loose any shine it ever had and maybe pick up dirt fast as well. I have no idea what guys use for pool tiles so just make certain before you owe a customer a couple thousand for new tile work. If they are glazed and you want then to stay that way I don't see how you could use an abrasive. That's why beads may be worth the cash or perhaps soda.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts