Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
That's funny.

Just so you know.....NYC is in many ways like The Wild West...or Vegas "what happens up in this loft.....stays up in this loft".

Lots of other reasons though. Parking tickets, Co-op rules, elevators for everything, cramped spaces to set up......................etc. etc.

·
General Contractor
8,083 Posts
Most of the jobs in NY done without permit. To get a permit for major renovation could take months, because the permit approval process is slow and they keep kicking everything back to make changes, etc and it takes forever, not to mention all the bureaucracy you hit along the way.
So what they do, is when work being performed, they keep everything locked up for the most part. If someone calls in a complaint and building department shows up, they don't open the door and inspector makes a note "no access" and never returns, but for the most part nobody rats on anybody in NY on anybody, especially your neighbors so people get away with doing anything.
Little harder to get away with exterior renovation or when you adding another floor :laughing:, but when it comes to interior I know people who did complete demolition and remodeling jobs from the basement to the attic and completed the project without letting inspectors in if they show up, and I am talking about 300-500k + renovation projects.

But when something happens or someone gets hurt, the s^*t hits the fan and heads start to roll.

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't actually get up close and check out what they all were, but it sure us a heck of a lot more than we have to post around here. Only thing that gets posted is 1 building permit and DEP #'s if it involves con comm. of course, plumbing, electrical, gas, smoke permits are all pulled but don't have to be posted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts