Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago I got a email from a customer I had about 2 years ago. He was a friend of my father-in-law and so I gave him a deal on his deck. (Not only that but I priced it to low to begin with) even with the discount I have him throughout the project he would nickle and dime me for everything. He would decide to do some work that I didn't ask him to do and decide that I should take off money at what I charge per hour because he did it. I ended up telling him if he wanted to play that game I can change the contract to an hourly rate and figure out the hours I've already worked if he wanted and I would pay him what I would pay my labourer $12.00/hr.

The deal was that I would build it and while I was framing they stained the cedar and any cuts I made I stained the ends. After I finished I told him that they should put atleast another layer or two of stain on and just keep maintaining it.

Fast forward two years I get this email saying that the cedar has aged and didn't adhere to the cedar. And he wanted me to come over to take a look at it. Basically his email was wanting me to come there and take responsibility for a part of the project I had nothing to do with. My response was basically reminding him I didn't stain it, asking him if he has kept up with maintaining the cedar, and if he followed manufacturers instructions on the stain. Without saying the words exactly I said it's not my problem and have better things to do than go look at a deck I built that wasn't maintained.

Not sure I id get sued if this happened in the states but probably would. You can probably get sued for sneezing in the wrong direction.

·
Can I get an Amen?
1,310 Posts
In response to the title.

There are allot of odd ball things that go on in my country, but with a thread title like you posted, I just needed to come in here and say......

I'm very GLAD that I live in America

And I hope you don't face any ill from a project aspect that you had nothing to do with. :thumbsup:

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
Suing someone isn't as easy as it sounds. Sure you can file a lawsuit for a couple hundred and some paperwork. But then you are committed to seeing the process through and you better have all your ducks in a row because the courts don't like frivolous lawsuits and will throw it out at the first hearing.

Most people don't want the headache of suing someone. It becomes a game of he said she said.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
How does this have anything to do with living in America?

You're going off about a problem customer where you live and finish it off with "glad I don't live in America because I could probably get sued for being an idiot and doing a job to cheap and improperly then having the homeowner bring up my workmanship failing after two short years".

Uhh, no duh.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hah geez some sensitive folk around here. I didn't mean to offend anyone I was simply stating that the things that people sue for and actually win is rediculous. Heck if it wasn't for that and the challenges with getting a work visa I would probably move somewhere snow doesn't fall.

·
Designer/Contractor
5,323 Posts
Hah geez some sensitive folk around here. I didn't mean to offend anyone I was simply stating that the things that people sue for and actually win is rediculous. Heck if it wasn't for that and the challenges with getting a work visa I would probably move somewhere snow doesn't fall.
Not sensitive, just appreciate what a wonderful country The USA is and how fortunate one is to live here; it's really true that anyone living here has already won the lottery.

P.S. Is Canada as sue happy as the States?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nothing drives me more nuts...sorry I mean nothing pisses me off more than people saying Merica. Put the fu**in' A where it belongs its only one more syllable! Like people aren't already lazy enough. End rant.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
The US used to be the best place to live.... However, given the EXTREME paranoia of 'our' govt... I am beginning to question it....
Still is the best because we have the power to change it. We just often choose to sit at home and not vote.

·
GC/carpenter
43,936 Posts
The US used to be the best place to live.... However, given the EXTREME paranoia of 'our' govt... I am beginning to question it....
It's not really a question of "if there problems here" or not, it's a question of where is there a better place besides here? I personally can't think of a place that has more people from other countries wanting in. I certainly don't think people who apply to come here are withdrawing their applications because they may get sued.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,705 Posts
Really? Sensitive? You name a post "You're glad you don't live in America" on an American forum and you don't expect any backlash?

Not to bright.:mad:

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Leo G said:
Really? Sensitive? You name a post "You're glad you don't live in America" on an American forum and you don't expect any backlash? Not to bright.:mad:
Well if you read what the reason is for the title it is a fair reason not to want to live there. It's like one of you saying "glad I don't live in Canada" because of the weather we get.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts