Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone thought of giving up self-employment to work for a company, the state, the county, the union.? I know they all have their pluses and minuses.
I used to work for the carpenters union in NYC. I lived in Queens and worked in manhattan and it took me 1.75 hours to get to the job by bus and train. I hated that.Plus all the work was metal studs and sheetrock. I was not able to transfer to a different local. The $$$ is good and the benefits.
Then I worked in the HVAC field(commercial) for the union. Good pay and bennies. But I had no passion for it and I missed working with wood. So I left the union.
Sometimes, when the phone does not ring, I think I should have stayed in the union.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
I was recently (last Dec.) aggresively recruited by a high-end GC here in town. All his remodels were suffering due to bad finishers (painters). He even had issues with the quality of the union boys. I was to help start and run a painting/decorating wing of the company. I was offered a fat salary, and all the perks/benefits. Company truck, office, laptop, expense account, etc. I could bring all my guys in with me, and hire a couple more. I was 75% sure I was going to do this, and we decided to move forward by my co. doing some jobs for him. Everything came out OK, but after 5 different jobs, i realized I had no interest in the new construction section of my industry. I politely said thanks, but no thanks, and we parted ways. I still do some small w/c jobs for him, buts thats all. Oh, and I do all the work in his own home, per his wifes demands. :Thumbs:

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
Oh, and I do all the work in his own home, per his wifes demands. :Thumbs:
<cue groovy '70s chicken scratch gtr.>
GTR:Boaw-buka Boawboaw chika chika chika, Boaw-buka Boawboaw chika chika chika
WIFE: Hey there ProWallGuy, I've got some work for you to do...

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
A buddy of mine with a succesful masonry biz decided to get the Town Director of Public Works job
He like the bennies and steady paycheck, but after 3:30 he's still pouring concrete

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
The fellas probably wondering "how many stinkin times can Pro paint that wall?" While his wife snickers in the background.

Pro got the bennies anyway.

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts